Chapter 15: A Week: Part One

-Tori's POV-

It's been a week... Well, about a week... Since the attack of Maddie Hall...

It was game day. Our very first game of the season. It was an away game at King James Central. This means, I will be surrounded by people, also known as friends. But the deal? What about the deal? I know... As long as ignore them, I'll be fine... Right?

I was sitting on the band bus three listening to music. Hurricane by Forever In Your Mind was playing.

Band bus three? What? Yes, we have different band buses. Five to be exact. Bus one has the flutes, piccolos, and clarinets. Bus two has trumpets, tubas, and trombones. Bus three has pit, drumline, and saxophones. Bus four has color guard and majorettes. Bus five has seniors and section leaders.

I watched all the landscapes and cars pass by through the window. I noticed that we were close to the school. I got up and started getting on my uniform, as did others. I sat back down after I folded my jacket up and put it my shako. I took out my headphones and put them in my bag. I looked at my phone and saw that I had five different messages, all from five different people.

Danielle: Are you mad at me? You haven't talked to me since we saw Maddie in the mirror at the synagogue. Please talk to me.

Jason M: Remember T, we're not marching the full show. We're not even playing the closer.  So, stop after the ballad. I'll remind everyone else.

Hunter 😍: We need to talk... About us... I'll talk to you after half time...

Mom: let me know when y'all get back

Unknown: Hey, it's Jake.

I delete the messages from Danielle, Jason, and my mom. They can wait. Hunter... Wants to talk.. about us... That can't be good.

Jake... Jake Hans? From church? I haven't heard from him in three years. Wow..

Tori: Jake? As in Jake Hans? From my grandma's church?

Jake: that would be the one

Tori: Well, it's nice to hear from you. But I have to go. I have a football game.

Jake: aw alright. Well, I'll talk to you later

Tori: yeah. Bye

Jake: bye

I put my phone in my bag and grabbed my shako. I saw that we were at the school. I got up and followed drumline and pit off the bus and towards our trailer. This game is going to take forever.

The rest of drumline and I got our stands into the bleachers, right as Weston came looking for us.

"Guys, we're looking for you. C'mon, y'all need to get y'all's drums on so y'all can cadence us in," Weston complained. We all nodded and followed Weston to the trailer where we got our drums, jackets and shakos on. Soon, Ashton was starting our first cadence "Sit Down."

Half time arrived. We were marching on to the field. What could go wrong besides messing up? Right? That was actually true. Since I've met my part of the deal I made with Maddie Hall, she's left me, drumline, and my family alone.

"Now entering the field from Cansburg, Georgia..." The sound patch from pit yelled. That's when we started onto the field to our opening sets. "Presenting their 2016 show, Jurassic Park, Lincoln High School is proud to present the Phoenix Marching Band!!" Right as the sound patch yelled Phoenix Marching Band, the whole band starts playing the Universal Studios Theme as long as we could.

They say the best moments of your life are when you go to Homecoming and Prom, but what they don't know is when you're in marching band, the best moment of your life will be 8-10 minutes on a football field with your band family, and it all starts with that first note you play.

Sorry, I just got deep. Where was I? Oh yeah.. Half Time.

We finished the whole show. We ended up playing the closer after all; we just stopped in the last set we knew.

*Boom*
*Boom*
*Boom Boom Boom Boom*

We all turn, and march off the field. When we get off the field, we huddle around Weston so he could give feedback.

"Alright guys, I know I'm going to end up saying this later on in the season, but that was one of the best run-thrus of the show y'all have done. Keep it up like that, and we'll win grand champion again for sure come September," Weston congratulated us. We all nodded. The band stood at the edge of the field so we could watch King James's band perform. As I put my drum down, Hunter walks up to me.

"I know I said I would talk to you after half time, but now is better," Hunter whispered.

"What do you need to talk about?" I ask keeping my eyes on the band performing.

"I'm sorry, but.. I'm breaking up with you. It's not you, it's... It's me. I want you to be happy, and it's not with me. I see how I make you feel, and it's not happiness.. I'm sorry," Hunter says. He turns and walks away. I hold back tears. I'm in uniform. I'm suppose to look professional, and crying isn't professional.

King James' band marches off the field as we move towards the Away bleachers. We go up and put our instruments down and take our jackets seeing as we have third quarter off.

I put my drum back on my stand and sit down in front of it. I look down thinking. There's no way I could eat. Not after the heart wrenching words Hunter said. I'll for sure puke everything up right over my drums, and I can't have that.

"Tori, why aren't you eating? You have this quarter off, don't you?" A voice said. I look up and see none other than Jake Hans.

"I'm not hungry," is all I say.

"Well, you need to eat. C'mon, I'll pay for you," Jake says helping me up. "Aren't you hot in that jacket?"

"Yeah, a little," I said.

"Here, I'll unzip it for you," Jake says as he unzips my uniform jacket. I take it off and lay it on my drums.

"Thanks," I say.

"You're welcome. Now, let's go get you some food," Jake says as he leads me towards the concession stands.

"You don't have to pay for me. I can pay for myself," I said trying to make Jake change his mind.

"I know what you're doing T, and it's not going to work," he responds.

"Damn," I said.

"Damn is right," he chuckled. When we get to the concession stands.. the person I least expect to be there was there....

Maddie Hall...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Song of the day (kinda): Sonoraville Phoenix Marching Band 2016

Hope you guys get a taste of what marching band is like from this chapter. I worked hard trying to recreate what I felt marching for the first time. Hope y'all enjoy.

~Emmalyn