Chapter Twenty-Six

"Aww, kitten, you spent your Christmas at work?" Elijah pouted, resting his hand on mine.

We were at his place, lounging on his couch, each of us with a glass of single malt in our hands. This was his idea of easing me back into the strong spirits that I'd sworn off of after the whiskey incident.

"I did, but it wasn't all that bad." I shrugged. My legs were in his lap and he was making little patterns on my knee with his finger. I watched him as he smiled a little, his face looking younger every time he did that. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm just trying to figure out what you did to me." he said. I raised an eyebrow. "I don't do this, Megan, I don't keep girls around for this long." he admitted. I laughed.

"Good to know I'm your exception." I teased. Elijah grinned, a slow lazy grin.

"My only exception." he added.

I looked at him, taking in every one of his features. My eyes rested on his. I chuckled, taking a sip of the strong liquor in my glass. The fiery drink went down my throat quickly.

I watched him intently, tilting my head to the side slightly. His gaze was on me, unwavering.

"Don't fall in love with me, Elijah." I warned him. "I don't do feelings."

His lips curled into a smirk and he gave me a lazy chuckle as he shifted in his seat. He blinked at me a couple of times before speaking.

"Then I guess we have ourselves a problem." he stated.

I raised an eyebrow but his expression defiantly did not falter.

"You are going to mess with my head, aren't you?" I sighed. Elijah tried to suppress his grin but failed.

"Just like you messed with mine." he shrugged.

He was right. I knew guys like Elijah very well, the perfect guy for a one-night-stand. They rarely expected anything more than one night and no-strings-attached was their favourite kind of thing. For some reason I'd messed with Elijah's head, like he said, and now here he was, night after night, it was like I'd tamed the beast.

But then again, he was doing a really good job at taming my beast too.

We were perfect for each other but at the same time terrible for each other because we were re-wiring each other's brains.

"Elijah," I started, he looked up at me, ",what is this? What are we doing?" I asked.

He blinked a couple of times, his grey eyes seemingly confused. He put his glass down on the coffee table and coaxed me to him. I put my glass down and crawled over to him, sitting in his lap and resting my head on his shoulder. Somehow we found a comfortable way to wrap ourselves together on this couch.

"I don't know, kitten." he admitted. "I don't know what this is but..." he paused. "I really, really love it. I love spending hours with you, you're special to me but I know you don't want any labels and I'm good with that, I'm okay with no labels as long as we get to keep spending all these hours together."

"I love spending time with you too." I told him softly. I moved a little so I could press my lips to his neck, a soft kiss. "Thank you." I added.

Elijah moved his head so that he could look down at me.

"For?" he asked. I looked up into his eyes and for the first time in a long time I felt vulnerable and had no problem with it.

"For understanding me."

He smiled down at me and kissed my forehead before we just lay there, holding each other. I'd found myself in a scenario I never thought I'd be in, not after everything.