Chapter Eighteen

I was too excited to get this shift over and done with. I had two hours left and I was looking at my three off days right in the face.

I was standing at the front desk with Emily and she was telling me about her suspicions.

"And I really think he likes her, which is really cute you know?" she smiled, her hazel eyes not faltering. The 'he' she was talking about was Adam.

"Em, he doesn't like her." I told her without looking up from the paperwork I was filling out.

"What? But it's Rayna, all the guys have a thing for her." Emily shrugged.

"Maybe all the guys have a thing for her but I'm pretty sure Adam has a thing for you." I informed her.

"What? Don't be ridiculous, no he doesn't." I could sense the uncertainty in her tone. I looked up at her and she was burning red, her eyes unable to match my gaze.

"You know, for adults, the people in this hospital sure act like high school kids a lot." I chuckled.

Before she could word what I believe was going to her snippy response there was a sudden commotion at the ER entrance.

Two paramedics were holding a guy up between them. His head was hanging but he was still conscious. He looked like he was struggling to breath or even move. His one hand was clutching his shirt over his heart.

Jake was the first to get to the guy and two medics. They got the guy onto a stretcher and rolled him past the front desk and into one of the rooms. I felt the colour drain from my face.

Not only did I recognise the guy on the stretcher as Mason but I heard Jake say, "He's going into cardiac arrest."

I watched them wheel my friend into a room and go to work on him. I was completely numb, frozen, unsure of what to feel.

"Megan!" Emily snapped me out of my daze but instead of responding to her, I fixed my eyes on the stranger that had come in with Mason and the medics but had managed to remain unnoticed.

I made a beeline for the blonde who seemed to be in a panic as well. I didn't recognise him but I figured he would've been a friend of Mason's.

"Hey, what happened?" I barked at him. The guy looked twice as worried as me, if not more.

"I- I don't know, he was fine when we- then he just- I don't know and-" his stuttering stopped as he glared at me. "Aren't you supposed to be in there helping my friend?"

With that I spun on my heel, ready to go and help save my friend in anyway possible. When I got to the room I was horrified to find Jake and the medics standing back as Mason lay on the bed, clutching the sheets in pain.

"What the fuck? Why aren't you helping him, he's dying!" I exclaimed. Jake pulled me back and kept a tight hold on me while I tried to pry his hands off of me, desperately trying to help Mason.

"He's being sedated, calm down, he'll be fine." After Jake said that to me, only then did I notice the IV Mason had been connected to.

"Are you crazy? He's having a heart attack and you're sedating him? What is wrong with you?" Again I started trying to get out of his grip.

"He's not having a heart attack, Megan!"

"What?"

"It's not a heart attack, it's a severe panic attack which is why we had to sedate him." Jake spoke in monotone, even and threateningly calm.

Mason's writhing had stopped and the EKG showed that his vitals had evened out after he calmed down.

Jake released me from his grip but he looked generally pissed.