Chapter Fourteen

A/N Hiii my pancakes! Oh my soul IT HAS BEEN FOREVER! I MISSED YOU!

Long story short, I've had terrible writer's block these past couple of weeks so please bear with me in this chapter because I'm not in the swing of things yet so hopefully in chapter 15 I'll have all my mojo back!

"And this one looks over at me, in the middle of surgery and tells me that she's in the mood for doughnuts. In the middle of surgery!" Gavin laughed.

Emily blushed and I laughed. "You are something else, Cordero." I said to the flustered nurse. She covered her face and chuckled.

"But I couldn't have done the surgery without her so I'll say it was a win." Gavin admitted as he adjusted his white coat.

"And I got us doughnuts after so I think it was a job well done." Emily added.

"Hey, Clarke." I looked up at Rayna as she walked by not stopping. "Woodmere wants you in her office like right now."

I didn't respond as she disappeared down the hall, an extra bounce in her step. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"I guess I've been summoned. I'll see you guys later." I stepped away from the counter and walked all the way to what seemed like the other side of the hospital to find Woodmere's office. I'd been here too many times in the past couple of months so I knew it like the back of my hand.

The door was open and as I walked in everything was as I remembered it. I suspected Dr Woodmere to have a mild case of OCD because her office remained unchanged and always perfect, down to the last little leaf on the evergreen bonsai that sat on the left hand corner of her desk.

"Dr Woodmere." I said upon entering.

"Ah, Dr Clarke, come in, take a seat." I did as I was told and sat down in the chair opposite her.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked trying to mask the distaste in my tone. I was growing tired of always being in trouble for something ridiculous.

"I did. There's no doubt that Bryanston Academic Hospital has a reputation to uphold and the staff that have been here already know what standard is expected of them. You, on the other hand, are new, young, barely experienced so that was a cause for concern. I am aware of how good you are at what you do, don't think otherwise but I've always had to look out for you a little more because you are very, very impulsive. You're driven by pure impulse and that worries me."

"I'm sorry, Dr Woodmere, but I am missing the point here." I admitted with a frown.

"Megan, you are passionate about your job and I see a little bit of myself in you." She paused, her face softening. "What I'm trying to say is that after months of having me breathing down your neck, I am going to give you your space and the benefit of the doubt because you've finally earned it. You earned it a long time ago, it's just your impulsive nature made me cautious. But here...you've earned it."

Woodmere dipped down to take something out of her desk drawer. She pulled out a brand new, white coat.

"Oh, I already have one." I chuckled.

Woodmere grinned, the lines on her face deepening. She unfolded the coat and I couldn't hold in my gasp.

Right on the left breast of the coat was the Bryanston Academic Hospital coat of arms and right below that, embroiled in a royal blue was Dr. M Clarke.

"That's my coat." I breathed softly. "That's my official hospital coat. It's mine?" Woodmere nodded and I took it from her hands, looking it over.

I nearly ripped off the plain white coat I was already wearing just so that I could put my own on. It fit like a glove and I couldn't help but swell with pride when I looked down at the hospital's stamp and my own name near it.

"Well?"

"It's amazing!" I squealed. "I feel so official, so cool, so..." I paused, looking up a Dr Woodmere who wore a small sincere smile. "...so welcomed. Thank you."

"Oh you are welcome. It looks good on you." She replied.

"Why thank you." I did a little spin and exaggeratedly strut to the door.

"Oh and Dr Clarke!" Woodmere called. I turned around. "Welcome to the big leagues." She smirked. I chuckled and left her office, excited to show off my new coat.

The whole time I was working here I had been the only one without a coat issued by the hospital with my name on it. I was using the plain ones the hospital usually issued to med students but now I had my own which meant I was on the same level as all the other doctors here. Hopefully Woodmere would start treating me like it. I always hated how she babied me but I guess she had her reasons.

I was so excited to finally be an official member of the Bryanston family and I let everyone know. Which is why three days later I had my coat in my hands while I proudly grinned at my father.

"So yeah, I'm sort of a big deal now." I gloated, handing my coat to my father who inspected it with the same proud grin I had.

"Look at that. Dr M Clarke...I like the sound of that, always have. Good job, baby girl." He handed me back my coat and hugged me as well.

Being back at the house I grew up in with my parents was always very calming. It was like a safe haven for me. Every time I left this house I left feeling a lot better than I did when I arrived. This house held a lot of good memories and proved to be a sort of charging station for my soul where I could come and be with my parents and bathe in all the wonderful memories the walls had witnessed.

"Thanks, Dad." I smiled. "Are you excited for tomorrow night?" I beamed. My father sighed softly and ran a hand through his dark hair. I gasped. "Dad...are you...nervous?" I asked dramatically. He rolled his eyes.

"I'm not nervous, I don't get nervous." He defended. I watched him carefully for a while and then chuckled.

"Fine...we'll see how not nervous you are tomorrow night." I grinned. My father always liked to play the tough guy but I knew him well enough to know that he just didn't like expressing any sign of weakness.

"Is he claiming that he's not nervous?" My dad asked as he walked into the living room where my father and I were waiting for him.

"Mmhmm." I confirmed rising to my feet.

"But I'm not nervous!" my father defended once again. My dad laughed.

"Of course you're not." He cooed. My dad checked the watch on his wrist. "Okay, if I don't get you two to the airport in the next 45 minutes there will be nothing to be nervous about."

My dad was going to drop me and my father off at the airport where we were going to catch a flight to where the Writ Gala was being held. I wasn't really looking forward to spending a night with a bunch of snobby lawyers but it was going to be my father's special night so if I had to fake some smiles then I'd do it a million times.

A/N I hope this chapter wasn't as terrible as I thought it was but I promise the next chapter will be better. I've just been out of practice for a while so please do forgive me.

Love you all and thank you for the continued support.

Xoxo

K