Chapter Fifteen (Part 1)

A shiver ran down my spine when a cool breeze kissed my neck. The silk shawl draped around my shoulders barely covered every inch of bare skin that my dress was exposing.

At the time it had seemed like a very good idea to buy this specific dress. It was elegant, with its short train and flattering fit. It was gold with some extra shine added to the fabric...some modest shine. But it was a strapless dress and now I was regretting not bringing a whole coat to throw over it.

Which is why I was more than elated when a black Mercedes pulled up outside our hotel. My father offered me his hand and I took it, as he guided me down the steps of the hotel. A chauffer stepped out from the driver's side of the car and opened the door for us.

"Mr Clarke. Miss Clarke." He greeted as we entered the car.

"Hi. Thank you." I got into the car first and my dad went around the other side and got in next to me.

My door was closed and our chauffer was back into his seat and the car started moving in no time. I ran my fingers across the leather seats.

"Well, this is fancy. When they said they'd take care of your transport I didn't think it was gonna be this fancy." I chuckled.

My father looked around and chuckled. "I suppose the committee was a tad extra with this." He admitted.

"Yeah but it doesn't matter. You deserve all this extra-ness. Aren't you excited?" I beamed.

"I am...admittedly a little bit nervous."

"Ha! I knew it!" I exclaimed. My father shook his lightly. "Relax, dad, you've got this." I assured him.

"I hope so...I wouldn't wanna make a fool of myself in front of all those...'snobby lawyers', as you put it." he replied with a small grin. I laughed.

"You won't. Besides, I'll be there with you and Daddy will be there in spirit."

"He said the same thing to me yesterday before we left."

"Cause it's true. So stop worrying. You're one of the bravest and most confident people I know. You've got nothing to worry about. All that's happening is that you're getting the recognition you deserve."

My father's hand lifted to dark hair but he dropped it back into his lap when he remembered that his hair was slicked back with a little bit of gel.

"You're right! It's not that big of a deal, I don't even know why I was nervous. I've been to this gala a lot of times and I've seen lots of people being inducted into the Hall of Fame, I have nothing to worry about." His familiar confident expression had returned and I smiled to myself as the car came to a slow stop.

We had arrived at our destination.

The Writ Gala was split into 3 main events. Just the mingling and the chatting in the beginning of the evening then the dinner and then finally the award ceremony. If you were a lawyer and wanted to make sure that you were successful then you wanted to end up with an invitation to this gala.

When my father and I walked into the ballroom where waitresses and waiters were walking around with trays of champagne and finger foods, manoeuvring between men in fancy suits and women in extravagant gowns, I had to supress my urge to leave immediately. Something told me these people were as pretentious as they looked, if not more.

"Oh my god, Jason Clarke?" I sighed as a woman in royal blue ensemble walked over to me and my father. She was smiling widely which I found impressive considering the tight bun on her head.

"Hannah Goodman. Always a pleasure to see you again." My father hugged her and she beamed at him.

"Look at you, you haven't aged a day. Are you still in corporate law?" she asked. My father nodded.