Chapter Eight

I took a sip of my vodka and Sprite and groaned.

"Woodmere is giving me a lot of flak at work, she's so damn annoying, I can't even." I muttered.

"I don't get it either." Victoria commented. "I mean you studied, did your residency and-"

"Technically my residency isn't one hundred percent done but I still have my licence and can practice, I just..." I sighed. "It's complicated."

Girls' Night Out had us sitting around a round table at Luca's Lounge drinking and chatting, catching up like we always did. Mckenzie wasn't here because she was obviously off on her honeymoon and Candice was nursing Andy back to health after a nasty stomach bug outbreak at her school.

"Complications." Kylie repeated after sipping on her Cosmo. "You're telling me about complications."

"Care to share?" I offered. She pursed her lips then blinked a couple of times.

"I'm going to have dinner with Mason and his mom next week." She admitted. I chuckled.

"Is that it?" Victoria asked. Kylie nodded. "Oh god, you're dramatic. You've met her before, you'll be fine."

"Last time she saw me I was...different, okay? And I'm not being dramatic, Queen Victoria." She snapped at Victoria. "You're one to talk about being dramatic, Miss Fire-My-Beautician-Cause-She-Gave-Me-Exfoliator-And-Not-Facial-Scrub."

"She had it coming." Victoria shrugged.

Arianna and I looked at each other before laughing. As everyone chattered away my eyes drifted to the bar, scanning it. I was already thinking about going to get us another round but when I saw a familiar face ordering drinks for his table I was up on my feet.

"I'm going to get us more drinks, my treat." I told the girls.

"Oh, you're so sweet." Arianna put a hand to her chest. Kylie nodded in agreement and I just laughed as I made my way to the bar.

As I got closer to the bar I knew I was correct and this was the person I thought it was. I stood right next to the man who towered over me. The bartender came over to me.

"Hey, can I please get another round for my table?" I smiled. He nodded.

"Sure, same stuff?" he asked and I nodded. "Cool, I'll have a waitress bring it over." He said as I took out my card to pay.

"Thanks, oh and I'll pay for whatever the gentleman ordered." I added. The bartender nodded as he returned the man's card and only used mine for both orders. As he was busy doing that I spoke to the man without looking at him. "Consider it payback."

"Wow," he chuckled. "I didn't think you recognized me." I finally looked up at him and smiled taking in his features closer than I was able to the first time.

"I'm good with faces." I shrugged. His grey eyes lit up a little, he lifted his chin slightly and I noticed the light stubble across his jawline.

"Thank you." He grinned. "But you don't have to pay me back. I only paid for your lunch, it was nothing."

"Then consider it a Thank You." I retorted.

"I was actually hoping for something else as a Thank You." I raised my eyebrow sceptically, hoping he wasn't a complete sleazebag. "A name." he finished. I mentally breathed a sigh of relief.

"Megan." I told him. He seemed to take a moment to process it before repeating it.

"Megan..." he paused. "My name's Elijah, Megan." He added. I smiled. The bartender handed me the receipt and I scanned through it, surprised that I actually hadn't paid that much.