Chapter Sixteen

"You said his surname is Vanderverie?" my father asked. I sighed, quite annoyed at this point. I had spent the last 20 minutes answering questions about Elijah. I was looking out the car window while my dad just interrogated me.

"Yeah." I muttered my response.

"How long have you known the boy?"

"Not long." Another dry response.

"You know if he's working for Madeline Edwards and he made junior partner then he must be good at what he's doing." My father's observation was rather accurate considering that Maddie Edwards ran a tight ship at Edwards, King and Brooks. Not just any old average Joe made partner.

"I guess." I sighed. I didn't really want to respond enthusiastically and end up in a long conversation about it.

My mind drifted off and I desperately needed time to think but I also desperately needed my best friend. Mckenzie was the one person who could really help me sort out all of my thoughts and feelings because she actually knew me better than anyone, sometimes even better than myself.

This whole situation with Elijah had me so confused because I knew exactly what I wanted but at the same time I didn't know what the hell I wanted. My mind had just gotten muddled up and I was a salad bowl of emotions. It was quite annoying.

"Megan!" my dad hissed.

"What?" I snapped. I then immediately realised the error of my ways. "Sorry, dad, I just-" I rubbed my temples. "I'm just really tired."

"Well then you'd better get some sleep. We have an early flight tomorrow." he replied. I nodded and then quietly went back to looking out the window as the city seemed to breeze by.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep so as soon as my father and I parted ways, going to our separate rooms in the hotel I changed out of my dress and put on my big pyjama t-shirt. I took my laptop and sat down in one of the corners of my room.

The carpet was plush beneath me and it served as a comfortable space to sit for a while. I opened my laptop and opened FaceTime. I waited...and waited...and waited until, "Hi, babe!" Mckenzie's face appeared on the screen.

"Hey, bestie." I smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm spectacular and you?" she beamed, the sun shining on her face.

"I'm okay. What time is it there?" I asked.

"Afternoon, not sure what time though, hold on, oh it's just after three."

"Oh." I nodded. She was walking but had earphones in her ear probably to hear me better. "Can you talk?" I asked nervously, hugging my knees to my chest. I didn't want to interrupt her honeymoon with my silly problems but I didn't know who else to call, she was the one person I could fully trust with all of this.

Her dark brows came together, "Of course, Megan, what's wrong?"

"Are you sure we can talk, where's Connor?"

"He's at the hotel, it's fine, we can talk. Talk to me, my girl, what's up? You seem a bit...distressed." My best friend knew me too damn well.

"Okay." I sighed. "Uhm, so you know Elijah?"

"Yeah, that guy you had dinner with and then hooked up with?" she giggled. I smiled.

"Yeah, yeah, him." I rolled my eyes a bit. "I saw him tonight at the gala." I started. Mckenzie's eyebrow's rose a bit. "And we spoke a bit and he sort of asked me out on a date."

"Sort of?"

"Okay, he did ask me out on a date." I corrected myself.

"What did you say?" she seemed to get excited. "Did you say yes?"