Chapter Twelve

I was woken rather early. Elijah's voice was hushed but I could still hear him. He stood looking out the window with his cell phone pressed to his ear. His back was turned to me and he wore nothing but a pair of comfortable-looking sweatpants.

I sat up in the bed, careful not to disturb his call.

"Ja, ik weet het, mam." He muttered shifting his weight from one foot to the other. I gingerly moved the covers off of me and slipped out of the bed, tip-toeing towards him. "Ik zal haar vertellen." He continued, unaware of my presence.

As I approached him, I could see his muscles tense with every slight movement he made. I could also see the faint, pink scratches that ran up, down and across his entire back. "Oke. Doei." he hung up and I took that as my cue to wrap my arms around his waist.

"What language was that?" I asked. Elijah chuckled and turned around, enveloping me in his arms.

"You're awake, kitty cat." He kissed the top of my head. I rolled my eyes at what he'd just called me.

"I am." I smiled. "So, really, what language was that 'cause it sounded vaguely like German or Afrikaans or something."

"It's Dutch." He laughed. "I was speaking Dutch."

"Oh wow...where did you learn to speak Dutch?" I was genuinely curious and impressed.

"I am Dutch, Megan." He laughed once more. "Well my mom's Dutch and my dad is German."

"Oh my gosh, I'm just learning so much about you right now. You're so European." I commented.

"I guess I am." Elijah's stomach chose that moment to growl, very loudly. I laughed.

"You're also hungry."

"I'm aware but food can wait." He tried to lower his head to kiss me and I instinctively stepped back, pressing a hand to his chest.

"No, no, not so fast. I need to shower and I'm really hoping you have a toothbrush to spare."

Elijah grinned. "Yeah, I can hook you up with a fresh toothbrush."

"Good because I can't start my day without washing the sins of last night away." I paused before giggling at the little rhyme I'd just come up with. Elijah chuckled.

"Well, the sins of last night are permanently etched into my back." He folded his arms over his chest. "Thank you for that."

"Oh you liked it." I reminded him. "Relax, it won't scar." I reassured him. He raised an eyebrow. "I promise." I added with a smirk. He paused to study me and I was trying to supress my smile but I couldn't quite manage it. "Elijah."

"Megan." He retorted.

"Where's your bathroom?" I asked angelically.

"Through the door there." He cocked his head to the left.

"Thank you." I started walking towards the bathroom.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Elijah asked. I turned around.

"Who said I was staying for breakfast?" I questioned playfully.

"I did." He shrugged. "Just now." He had a look on his face as if he was daring me to object. I titled my head to the side with a questioning look on my face. "Besides, kitten, if I took you home, what would you wear?"

"My clothes..." I scanned the room to see where my scattered sweats and hoodie lay only to find that they were nowhere in sight. "Where are my clothes, Elijah?"

"They're sort of wet."

"Wet? What do you mean 'wet'?"

"They're in the washing machine." I was stunned with his reply.