Chapter Fifteen (Part 2)

Thirty minutes later I was sitting at a table with the President of the Harvard Writ Association as my father delivered his acceptance speech after she had him inducted into the Writ Hall of Fame.

I definitely wish my dad was here, he would've been so happy and so proud. But it was okay because I was here for my father even though I know my dad desperately wanted to be here but couldn't make it.

"And the biggest thanks goes out to my wonderful husband, in his absence, and my beautiful daughter." I smiled at him endearingly from my seat as I watched him make eye contact with me. "They probably both know that when they're not being my biggest fans, they're being my support because as everyone here would know, what's a law career without one, two or nineteen mental breakdowns?" the crowd chuckled.

My father smiled, pausing for a moment. "But honestly, all I've done has been to make them proud because they deserve to be proud after everything I've put them through. Megan, my dearest, I am forever grateful to you and your dad, I owe everything I have, everything I am to you both and I love you both so much, thank you." he said directly to me. I blew him a subtle kiss. "And thank you to the Harvard Writ Association for this incredible honour." he finished.

As he started to walk off the stage there was a roar of applause. It started softly but escalated incredibly to the point where people were on their feet, cheering.

Debra Willis, the president of the association, gave him a handshake and a hug as he descended from the stage. She then went to stand at the podium that my father just stood at to thank him and congratulate him once more. She then moved along with the program but I blocked her out as my father came to sit next to me.

"Dad, you did so well." I gushed as I leaned over my chair to hug him tightly.

"Thank you, baby." he replied. I noticed his fingers fiddling with the gold band on his hand. His wedding ring caught some light every now and then.

"He really wanted to be here." I informed him, knowing he wished my dad was here with us.

"I know, baby." he sighed softly. "I know."

The rest of the gala was rather boring for me considering the climax was my father's induction. The event was nearing the end as more champagne and wine circulated on trays while everyone mingled for the final time.

I wasn't really in the talking mood so I just stayed by the table as my father was bombarded with people congratulating him and telling him how epic and inspiring he was and what a legend he was...which is exactly what he needed...a bigger head.

I chuckled as I watched him bask in all the glory.

"So were you ever going to give my blazer back or..." Elijah sat down in the seat my father was sitting in before. I couldn't help but smile. His blazer was draped over the back of my chair. I shrugged casually.

"I don't know, hey, I'm sure I can get a tailor to make it a little smaller cause this jacket is pretty stylish hey." I teased.

"Of course it is." he exaggeratedly looked around and pulled his chair closer to me so he could lean in close and whisper. "It's Armani."

I giggled lightly. "Oh my...wow... that's pretty fancy."

"Yeah it is." he leaned back in his seat, looking pretty pleased with himself. "Maddie's pretty fancy and will spare no expense to look fancy."

"Maddie?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Madeline Edwards."

"Like your boss, Madeline Edwards?" I asked tilting my head to the side a bit. "Your boss bought you an Armani suit?"