Chapter Twenty-Five

I literally skipped down the hallway. I was running on an all time high, nothing could wipe the smile off of my face.

"Merry Christmas, Dr Clarke." One of the nurses said.

"Merry Christmas, Kim." I sang, skipping past her and to the front desk to catch up on my paperwork.

I'd been standing by the front desk, polishing up my paperwork but as I did that I hummed the tune to an unknown song while bouncing up and down a little.

"Someone's in a good mood." Jake said stopping next to me to look for his own paperwork. I looked up at him briefly and flashed him a smile before carrying on.

"Screwing half of the male population can do that to a girl." I heard Rayna say as she walked past behind me. "Too bad it's nothing to be proud of." she hissed.

I stopped writing for a split second before I replied to her.

"Not even you can ruin my day, Ice Queen." I said without looking up.

"Oh, so you're not even gonna deny it?" she asked rather smugly. I didn't respond and then I heard her scoff. "God, I didn't know you were that easy, Clarke."

My head snapped up and I glared at her for a full ten seconds before my lips contorted into a smile, the kind that a crazy person gave you just before they gauged your eyes out.

"Maybe I am easy but you know what else is easy, finding out who your brother is, your father and every single ex you've ever had and getting them into my bed, every single man you've ever loved... but you already knew that the second you saw your precious Jacob lay eyes on me and feel an intense need to get into my pants." I smirked.

"Hey, don't drag me into this." Jake said from behind me.

"Shut up!" Rayna barked at him.

"I don't know what your problem with me is but don't take your problem and make it my problem." I had her stunned. I didn't know if she wanted to cry for some reason or if she wanted to slap me but either way I was done with her. "You don't wanna make an enemy out of me." I finished.

As I put my paperwork away and left the front desk to go check on some patients I heard Jake scolding Rayna for being unprofessional and I couldn't shake the feeling that maybe I'd been too hard on her but then again I didn't respond well to slut shaming.

Later when I was taking a break in the common room Rayna came in and sat down next to me. I looked up from the magazine I was just flipping through and then just looked back down.

"Clarke, I'm sorry." she started.

"It's fine." I muttered. I could've been honest and told her that it wasn't fine but I wasn't in the mood to fight with her.

"No, it's not, I shouldn't have overstepped like that and I'm sorry." she said. When I didn't reply she carried on talking. "Look, Jake and I used to be a thing but it ended a long time ago and I've had to come to work every day watching him flirt and try to bed every pretty faced nurse or doctor that's walked in here. It hurt but nothing hurt as much as watching him be as infatuated as he was with you, he still is." she finished.

"Jake can be as infatuated as he wants but he knows nothing's ever gonna happen between us." I finally looked up at her and for the first time I actually felt bad for her. She had to watch the guy she was seemingly still in love with get with other girls right in front of her.

"Look, Rayna, it seems like being around Jake so much is really hurting you. You need to give yourself some closure, stop being so angry, just let all that stuff that happened with him go."

"It's not that easy, Clarke." she countered.

"It can't be but you need to do it if you have any intentions of healing from whatever happened between you guys."

Rayna seemed to think about it before she nodded. "I guess you're right. You're not that bad, Clarke."

"You're pretty bad," I countered with an unimpressed look on my face. "You slut shamed me, that's pretty bad, you don't do that to other women, guys give us enough shit as it is." I told her.

"Yeah, I know, you're right, I'm sorry." she looked down at her white Tommies.

"Dr Clarke to Trauma One, Dr Clarke." the intercom said just as there was a vibration in my pocket.

"That would be me." I jumped to my feet, leaving the magazine on the couch. "Think about what I said, Rayna." I left her in the common room to go and attend to the new arrival.

Twenty minutes later after stabilising the car crash victim I was just about to leave Trauma One, discarding of my bloodied gloves in the bin when Dr Woodmere stood at the door.

"Clarke, please come see me." she said and then she left.

I sighed knowing it probably had to do with me and Rayna's little squabble earlier. I didn't really want to talk to Woodmere about everything but the old woman would probably pry the details of the argument out of me.

I walked into her unchanged office and sat down opposite her desk. She blinked up at me, her eyes tired.

"How are you holding up?" she asked. I shrugged.

"Oh, I don't know... I'm fine?" it came out more as a question than a statement because I was trying to figure out what Woodmere was trying to do.

"No, Clarke, I mean honestly, how are you? Dr Black told me about the Markham woman." My stomach dropped at the mention of Anna. "How are you holding up?"

"Dr Woodmere, you don't have to worry about me, I'm okay. A couple of days ago not so much but now I'm alright."

Woodmere offered me a sincere smile and I returned it.

"That's good to hear, little one." she replied. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her calling me 'little one'.

"Can I go now?" I asked hopefully. She nodded. I stood up, ready to leave but hesitated because I needed to know. "Dr Woodmere," I started. I was desperate to know. "Does it get easier?" I asked.

If losing a patient didn't get easier then I had no idea how I was going to make it through my career.

"No, it doesn't." she replied almost apologetically. I frowned. "But you do get stronger." she added.

I looked at her once more and she gave me a knowing look. I then left her office, hoping that I would get stronger from here on out. Well, what a merry Christmas to me.

A/N This was more of a filler chapter but I thought I'd use it to address this thing that people love doing, Slut Shaming.

Like, people, can we please stop slut shaming, it's totally not cool. Guys don't get slut shamed so why the hell are we condemning girls just because they prefer causal sex? It doesn't mean they're easy or they're dirty, they just like having sex and that's not a bad thing, so maybe we should all quit it, huh?

Anyway, thanks for all the votes and comments guys, love you lots.

#StopSlutShaming

xoxo

K