Chapter Nine

I knocked on the door and looked around the hallway to see nobody else with me. The door swung open and Mason stood staring back at me. He grinned at me and then looked back over his shoulder.

"Kye! The wine is here and it brought a little girl with it!" he yelled. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Ha ha ha." I said robotically as I pressed the bottle of red wine I'd brought along against his chest while simultaneously shoving him out of my way so I could enter Kylie's apartment. I took my coat off as Mason shut the door.

"Ooh, fancy French wine I can't pronounce the name of." Mason chuckled as he scanned the label of the bottle. "Thanks, Megan, you spoil us."

"Mmm. Coat closet, please." I said as I held my coat in my hands.

"I'll take it for you." He held his hand out. I slung the coat over his arm.

"I was never going to put it away myself." I grinned. Mason chuckled and left to go to the closet. I proceeded to the kitchen where all the other voices were coming from.

"Megan, you made it!" Kylie beamed. Her dark hair was up in a tight bun the seemed to go well with her tight burgundy dress. Only now did I realise that she and Mason wore matching clothes, well his burgundy button-up matched her dress.

"I did. Wouldn't miss it." I smiled. "Hi, Candice." I went over and hugged the red head.

"How are you, dearest?" she smiled, her perfectly applied red lipstick adapting to the movement of her lips.

"I'm good, thank you and how are you?"

"Sublime." She replied.

Mason returned from the coat closet and he handed Kylie the bottle of wine I got and she scanned the label.

"Bordeaux en Courtailles, oh my soul, Megan, this bottle must've cost a fortune!" she breathed. I shrugged.

"Just a small one."

Mason chuckled just as the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Kylie offered as she put her glass of wine down. As she left Mason went to the icebucket that was sitting on the kitchen counter.

"Megan, can I get you a glass of wine?" he asked.

"Please." I replied.

"Candice, a refill?" he held up the bottle.

"Oh no, thank you, Mason. I think I'm good." Candice was as polite as ever.

"Guess who's here!" Kylie sang as she entered followed by Arianna and a familiar face.

"Hi, everyone." Arianna shook her head lightly but kept a smile on her face. The guy next to her held her hand and I finally remembered him. He'd come to the beach house during the summer once, looking for her.

"Ah, finally, we meet the infamous Ryan Eintrout." Kylie laughed.

"You've met me before, Kylie." Ryan said. "You introduced me to Arianna."

"That's not the point." Kylie pouted. Everyone laughed. We all got acquainted with Ryan and soon we settled down around the table for dinner. Kylie had invited us all over for no specific reason.

Candice and I sat on opposite ends of the table while the two couples sat opposite each other along the length of the table. We were done with the main course when the conversation shifted because Ryan whispered something to Arianna that made her face burn red.

"You two are absolutely adorable." Candice chuckled. Arianna gave Candice an endearing smile.

"Thank you, Candice but I like to think I'm the adorable one in the relationship." Ryan's response sent out a round of laughter.