Chapter Twenty-Seven

Elijah's hand moved from the steering wheel down to my knee. We'd just stopped outside Arianna's apartment where she'd asked us all to meet before we headed to Ryan's New Years Eve party.

I looked over at him as he turned ignition off and the car's soft purr died down. He turned his head and our eyes met. I gave him a small smile and he returned it.

"Thanks for dropping me off." I said softly. Elijah put his hand on my cheek, a soft smile resting on his lips.

"Of course, kitten." he replied, his voice low. I looked at him, not really wanting to get out of the car or even let him to go to his friend's party but we had to split up tonight and catch up with our friends.

"Listen, kitten," he started. "My cousin Annika is getting hitched in a couple of weeks and I would love it if you came to the wedding with me." he seemed a little nervous for asking.

"Ooh, yeah, I'd love to be your plus one." I smiled. "Where is she gonna get married?" I asked.

"Back home." I blinked at him after he replied.

"Back home like the Netherlands?" I asked. He nodded. "Wow."

"It'll be fun although I should warn you in advance...we're a big family...like absolutely massive so you might find that you will most probably be bombarded with Vanderveries left, right and centre."

I inhaled dramatically, putting on my best hero face.

"That's a risk I'm willing to take." I uttered my words as dramatically as I could and Elijah chuckled, a sound that I'd become used to hearing but loved every time I heard it.

"Thank you for your great sacrifice, kitten." he leaned over and pressed his lips to mine. I smiled against his lips, finding happiness in small moments like these.

My phone started ringing and I saw that it was Arianna calling so I sighed and kissed Elijah once more, a quick little peck.

"I have to go." I pouted.

"Goodbye, kitten." he smiled. As I opened the door the winter chill kissed my cheeks and I cringed a little. "Megan." Elijah said before I closed the door after getting out. I popped my head back into the car. "Remember, don't tell her, she'll find out when it's time." he reminded me.

I chuckled, remembering that we had agreed to let Arianna find out on her own.

"I'll keep my lips sealed." I grinned. "Bye, handsome." I smiled at him one last time before closing the door and walking briskly into Arianna's apartment building.

The building was quiet but warm. The elevator ride up to her floor was just me in the elevator that played some cheesy christmas music from the speakers. I was off the elevator after it dinged.

Arianna's apartment was down the hall and I wasn't sure if it was my head playing games with me but I was sure I heard some yelling from one of the rooms. As I kept walking the yelling became clearer and when I stopped outside Arianna's door I could confirm that the voices were coming from her apartment.

"Gesù Cristo! This is not happening!" someone shrieked. There was only one female I knew that would be here and spoke Italian. Sure enough when I opened the door, Arianna was pacing about yelling in a flurry of Italian.

Victoria was standing near the door, wine glass in hand. She looked at me and a wave of relief washed over her face.

"Thank god, you're here." she breathed.

"I was too scared to knock." I laughed.

"Pretty sure she would've yelled at you." Victoria chuckled. I closed the door behind me and stood next to Victoria.