Tin Lunchboxes (Part 3)

// This is the 25th prompt! We're 1/4 the way there! Yay! Thanks for all your love and support! Xoxo! //

~~~~~

Previously in "Tin Lunchboxes"...

"I think it's time we have children."

"Well..." Sharna sat her glass of water down on the coffee table. "That was...sudden."

"But, Shar, don't you want to have children?"

"Well...I do..."

...

Her hand went to flip over the three tests in front of them, (because Peta recommended taking a few from different brands) but she stopped herself.

"You, Val, turn them over, I can't."

"Okay, Love."

Sharna buried her face in the sleeve of Val's shirt because she just couldn't look.

Negative
Negative
Negative

...

"Hey, hey, Sharna, we can always make this happen." He smiled and ran his thumb over her cheek. "You want a family? We'll make it happen. We'll find a way. We always do."

"I know we do, Val." She nodded.

"We'll make this work." He whispered once again, before pulling her into a passionate kiss.

~~~~~

Sharna and Val hadn't told anyone.

Nobody knew about the three negative tests.

Nobody knew how much this was hurting the couple.

Nobody.

They put their brave faces on for the cameras, and even braver faces on for their friends.

It was working.

Was.

~~~~~

They were having an unplugged day with Maks and Peta when she got to her.

They had left Shai with Hayley, because she was always so happy to babysit during unplugged days.

"Sharna, are you okay? You've been all over the place today."

"Yeah, I'm...fine." She shook her head.

"You're sending me mixed signals, Sharna, Darling." Peta said as Maks and Val sat down next to them.

"Yes, I'm fine, my goodness!" Sharna said and stood up.

"Let me..." Val nodded and ran after his wife.

"Sharna, wait!"

"What, Val?!"

"You can't give up on this. You can't give up on us."

"I'm not giving up! I've just been too brave about this for too long!"

"Then let Peta help you. She understands this stuff."

"Val, you know I--"

"I KNOW! YOU CAN'T ASK FOR HELP! YOU NEVER CAN, AND YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO EVERY LITTLE THING BY YOURSELF, SHARNA! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?!" Val yelled.

That's all Maks and Peta heard from their conversation.

Peta started to stand up, but Maks stopped her. "Babe, let her fight her own battles."

She nodded and sat back down.

Sharna came back just a moment later, looking quite destroyed.

"Darling, are you okay?" Peta ran up and hugged her sister.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry, Shar, but this isn't 'fine'."

"It is 'fine', P."

"No, no it isn't. I know you too well, come here." She grabbed her hand and pulled her up the stairs.

"Talk to me, Lovely." Peta pleaded.

She stayed silent.

"Sharna..." She exhaled loudly. "I know you hate admitting that you need help, but please, please, it's for your own good, Shar."

"I'm not asking anyone for help, P. I'm sorry. I get through this myself."

"Sharna, I really don't want to yell at you, but you can't. Please just admit that you need help."

"Peta, I can't do that. You know I can't admit I need help."

"You know what else you can't do?" She said.

"What? What else can't I do, Peta?!" Sharna exclaimed.

"You and Val can't have a baby."

Sharna's face went ghost white. "H-h-how do you know that?"

"I saw the negative tests by the empty tissue box in your bathroom when Maks and I were over at your place having dinner last week."

Sharna tried to come back with a rebuttle to Peta's perfect logic.

"Sharna, seriously, please."

"I just need support." She whispered.

"And that's what we're here for." Peta whispered as she took Sharna in for a tight hug. "That's what we're here for." She repeated in a whisper into Sharna's ear.

~~~~~

// Hey! Part four? Eh, maybe not? Feedback, I'd love to hear it. AND OH MY GOODNESS! THIS STORY HAS THREE THOUSAND READS! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, OH MY GOODNESS, I AM SPEECHLESS! //

All of my love to all you amazing people!

Xoxo,
A very ecstatic dwts_ballerina ❤