Stood Up

I showed up to Tavolo Per Due twenty minutes early for my date with Travis tonight.

We were supposed to meet at seven sharp.

I looked at the clock on the wall by my table.

7:25 p.m.

I brush it off, knowing that this is New York, and traffic is horrible.

"Are you still waiting, ma'am?" A waiter comes by and asks.

"Yes. I'm sorry, he'll be here soon."

"Traffic by 5th and 23rd if he's coming that way." My waiter said as he noticed I had quickly been switching my glance between the door and the clock.

"Thank you." I said quietly.

7:45 p.m.

As I'm quickly glancing between the table, the clock, the door, and the group of waiters sadly staring at me, I notice a certain pair of familiar eyes across the restaurant.

Val.

My eyes quickly jumped to any other direction.

I silently prayed that he didn't notice me, but who am I kidding?! I have bright red hair, of course he's going to notice me.

7:50 p.m.

"Hey, Travis. I'm here, making sure you're okay. Bye." I left the third voicemail of the night.

Nothing still.

"Just five more minutes, I promise." I say to the waiter.

8:00 p.m.

I was about to leave when I realized that I had been stood up, I grabbed my bag and began to stand up, until Val came rushing to my table.

"Babe, I am so sorry I am so late! Traffic was a nightmare! There was a backup on 5th and it was a mess! It really is a jungle out there." Val said with a slight chuckle.

The waiter came up again and took our orders.

"Idiot shouldn't have stood you up." Val mumbled as the waiter left.

"Love, he was probably just working later." I knew I had been stood up, I did. I was just trying to convince myself there was a real reason I was stood up.

"He wasn't, Shar."

"I know." I said softly.

Later our food came, and the waiter didn't end up charging me...he did charge "Travis" though, so I thought that was pretty funny. But, he graciously paid for his food, so here we are.

"Thanks again for saving me."

"Of course, Love."

We were silent for a little bit.

"But hey, Sharna?"

"Yeah?"

"You might have to save me tomorrow."

"Why?"

"The guys and I are going to fight Travis in the alleyway behind that sketch coffee shop."

Sharna laughed lightly.

"Because we are family. And you know what I live by..."

"Family over everything." She finished his sentence.