Getaway Car

Roughly described, a getaway car is an intentionally set car that criminals use to flee quickly from crime scenes.

"What inspired you to choreograph Getaway Car?" An interviewer asked Emma about a dance that she had choreographed to Taylor Swift's song of the same name. A dance that went viral almost instantly.

"It was a fairly simple thing to blueprint, to treatment, in terms of the lights and the staging. I did Getaway Car the way I did because I wanted to portray that really 'shady' relationship that sometimes does happen in our industry. In fame for that matter. The kind of grungy, low-key, 'We're going to run away from these people with flashing cameras' kind of an attitude."

The interviewer nodded at this, indirectly asking Emma to give more detail into this more background metaphor.

"Yeah, there are definitely more metaphors beyond the surface of that story. Even with where the dance is shot, there's meaning. We were so set on shooting it in a field, like there is this one field that is right down the street from one of our tech guy's childhood home, and he said that if you keep running, you'll eventually reach woods. And these woods, according to Steve, that's the tech guy. According to Steve, these woods were no joke, they were real life horror movie woods. And the whole team was like 'sweet, let's go'...until we all remembered that Steve lived in Tennessee as a kid. So," She stifled back laughter. "We all road tripped to Tenessee, mind you, it's a solid twenty nine, thirty hour drive, and we couldn't fly with all our equipment, because trust me, we've tried before, and they wouldn't let us board. So, me, the two leads, and Steve all piled into a car. In another car was the eight troupe, if you will, dancers, in another car was Richard, our cinematographer, Joey, our sound and lights guy, Marissa, our hair and makeup, Stacy, she's costuming, and in one van was all of our filming equipment, and some of those managers, in another van was costuming, and in yet another van was the lighting and sound equipment. Now, all the technology and costume vans were driven by some friends in California who were going to Tennessee anyways, so I told them, "Hey, if you drive these things for 30 straight, I'll pay for gas the whole way, I'll buy you dinner, I'll do hotel costs, and your plane tickets back". They were sold. So, Michael, Rachel, and Kristin, if you're watching this interview..." Emma blew a kiss to the camera. "I love you! Thank you for that!" She laughed and sipped her water.

"So," The interviewer asked. "In the video, the dancers aren't in a field, what happened?"

"Ah, that's a good story. So, as mentioned, those woods, I thought it would be so cool to have our female lead run into the woods after him because even though she knew it was toxic, she couldn't let go. So that's why we were so set on this field. And then we got to the field. And they had built a mall in the field. A mall. And Steve ended up staying he heard talk they were planning on doing it, but he wasn't sure if they would. So, here we are, stranded, 30 hours from home, we drove all night, and got maybe three hours of sleep, ready to film this thing, and there's a mall on our set. We were on a strict 3 day filming timeline, because I had to be back in L.A. to leave for the Dancing With The Stars tour in 72 hours, and a very low budget to start off with, and I used some of said budget to pay my friends for driving the vans. At this point, I was like, 'screw this', and I wanted to leave. But then, it was like the Lord had been watching this unfold, and Michael, the friend who drove for me, found this abandoned museum that movies had been shot at and stuff. So, we went there, and I re- choreographed almost the whole dance in this museum. Now, movies were filmed here, acting like it was real, but I was like "no". Therefore, Stacy, being the so very supportive and cooperative human she is, bless her heart, bought Dollar Store picture frames, painted them, shattered them everywhere, we fake trashed the place and it looked amazing. It looked "post-apocalyptic which I loved." Emma explained. "Therefore, when the male lead holds the girl up and he touches the sharp point of the chandelier, in said museum, and right before she does, the boy drops her and the troupe catches her, is the museum equivalent of the forest metaphor."

"Well, it's a great story. Now, Emma Slater directed and choreographed this viral dance you just heard all about. It hit 6 million views in less than 48 hours of being released, so take a look..."

The interview cut to the video, and the cameras were shut off.

~~~~~

Hey, Loves!

Guys, I loved this one! How'd you feel?

Opinions, I love to hear all the feedback, negative and positive!

Love y'all!

Xoxo! ❤