Chapter 23- Face Off (Part 1)

Lily's POV
It took weeks for us to be fully trained and my hopes of finding Sage alive were slimming down, that is until I got the text. That text changed my life, and it is one that I will regret answering forever.

"Come on Lily focus!" Carter shouted as I went to punch his face, he easily grabbed my hand and shoved a knife by my stomach. "Now if this were real, you would be dead. You need to focus, first go for the legs, then straight for the skull. Show no mercy."

"Carter I don't know-"

"They've got Sage Lily, who knows if she is alive or dead right now?! You're doing this for her! You're doing this to find her! Now punch me and show me like you mean it." I went to punch him again but I was swooped to the floor. "Let me give you an alternative. Think of the night we shared all because of my father, it could've been special but you kept screaming-"

"That's because I wasn't ready." He chuckled, this guy has some nerve. "Wasn't ready my ass! You were practically begging for it with that short tight dress you wore and that lip bite you always do when you want to do something, and that tight little body that-" I cut him of by screaming followed by swooping him by the legs and kicking him hard in the stomach until I was stopped by Jadon and Tyler.

"I SAID NO." I screamed at Carter, he started laughing which caused Jadon and Tyler to look at him as if he was dumb. "Why are you laughing?" Ty questioned angrily as Carter got up.

"She's got it. She's got that fire in her and all it took was to get her angry. Now take that anger and pretend that I am Sage's killer or kidnapper and you're getting revenge." Carter replied with a smirk, I went to punch him and we fought a little until he was on the ground and I was choking him.

"Lily that's enough!" Jadon shouted, pulling me off of him which I still put up a fight with. "Lily snap out of it, he's not the kidnapper-"

"How do we know that?! His father is evil and he once was too. He could just be teaching us this so we will get our guard down!"

"It's getting late, we should go." Ty says, helping Carter up. "That is the thunder I was talking about. In this game you can not trust anyone, it is a life or death situation and that is what I liked about you. You had that spark in you that you were too afraid to face and I wanted to get that out of you, looks like my goal is accomplished. Tyler is right, we should get going."

We all went towards the stairs that lead us up to the parking garage and that is when all hell broke loose. We were all talking as if my breaking point never happened and then as I was reaching for my car door Carter jumped in front of me and we heard gunshots, I closed my eyes and started screaming but before we knew it Carter was going down to the floor. He had been shot in his chest three times and the fourth in his artery in the leg.

"I'm calling 911." I said while taking out my phone. "No." Carter whimpered, pushing the phone out of my hand, a tear falls down my face.

"If I don't you'll die, I can't stop the bleeding there is too much blood! You can't die-"

"It's okay-"

"No it's not okay damn it! I will not let you die!" He coughed as I pressed on his chest wound, he cupped my cheek with his hand and smiled. "At least I will die knowing that I protected the girl I love."

"Carter-"

"No... you need to hear this." He said, cutting me off, his breaths were becoming heavier and that was when I knew he didn't have much time left. "I'm sorry for everything I did to hurt you. You were the first girl I ever truly loved and... I will die happy knowing that I didn't turn out like him." His eyes started closing and I started crying harder.

"Carter? Carter stay with me! Please stay awake!" I shook him as he coughed. "I love you." His eyes became heavy as he said those last words. Those words were enough to cause me to completely break down.

I love you.

He never said it back until now.

He died in my arms today. That was when I knew I had reached my breaking point. I stood up and started screaming. "YOU MOTHER FUCKING BASTARD! FIRST SAGE AND NOW HIM?! HOW DARE YOU TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME! YOU ARE A COWARD FOR KILLING YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD AND YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS. I WILL FIND YOU. NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!" I must have screamed at the top of my lungs because I couldn't talk afterwords, I just cried and cried for days.

It wasn't until a week later that I finally stopped crying because I didn't have any tears left. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, seeing him like that just made me want to die.

There was a knocking on my door, I didn't reply. "Lily. Jadon and Ty are here to see you, I'm going to let them up." Brianna said through the door, I just grunted. Truth is I don't want to talk to anyone right now, I just want to mourn in peace, but I know that is not going to happen because we go back to school soon, we weren't going because our principal said we can have time to grieve Sage's "death" but then apparently someone set the lab on fire and the whole third floor had to be rebuilt. But now everything is repaired and we are going back in a week.

A few minutes later there was another knock at my door, I didn't answer. "Lily it's Jadon and Tyler, Bri let us up so we are coming in." I heard the door open and then felt the bottom of my bed tilt meaning that someone sat on it.

"I know you're sad, right now you probably feel as if your life is ending and you want to die. I felt that way when Daniel died, but believe me when I say it does get better-"

"How?! He's dead." I snap, Jadon grabs my hand, I pull away fast as images of Carter pop into my head. "It will get better. We are in this together remember? We are not gonna let you grieve alone. We are here for you and if you want to talk we are here to listen."

"It's all my fault-"

"No it's not Lily. Don't feel bad for yourself! It was his father's fault, they killed Carter and now they have Sage. The right thing to do is not feel bad for yourself but avenge their deaths!" Ty shouts, grabbing my phone and unlocking it.

"What are you doing?!" I snap, trying to get my phone, he looked like he was texting. "I'm texting the number that called you the day we were at the club."

"No. Let me do it." I grabbed the phone out of his hands and started typing, I let my anger take control.

To Unknown: From Lily
You may have thought that you were clever by killing Carter but I am stronger than ever. So come get me bitch! Face to face you and me.

A few minutes later they responded.

To Lily: From Unknown
The cave by the river. Midnight. Come alone or your friend dies.

Now I've seen enough movies in my life to know never to go alone which is why I am bringing Ty and Jadon.

Tonight is when we will face off, hopefully this time it'll be for good.