Chapter 54

Morgan smirked in satisfaction as she watched the two dragons continuously fly across the beachhead with raking passes of fire. The plan to keep the defenders of Castle Volkihar was working perfectly. As she had expected, Harkon had used his thralls as a first line of defence, showing just what his mindset was like...he would happily sacrifice anyone as long as he got what he wanted.

"The the love of Talos..." Jordis muttered in awe as she watched Odahviing snatch a rather bulky Orc in his jaws and crush the thrall into half, before allowing the ash cloud that had formed on the death of the thrall to scatter in the high winds that buffeted the boat.

"He's happier than he usually is," Lydia remarked with a smile as she flexed her shoulders.

"The only time he is happier is when your name is mentioned," Morgan teased.

Lydia made a rude hand gesture and winked at her before she looked at the now smoking patch of land where they were headed.

"We better get ready," she said softly.

Morgan looked at the few dozen boats that were crossing the short stretch of water and nodded at Lydias words as she unsheathed her dragonbone sword and inspected the razor sharp edges on both sides of the blade. She had meticulously sharpened the blade for over an hour before they had set out, and the results were an edge that could easily pierce studded armour, and if given enough force, go right through steel plate.

Serana had a second dragonbone dagger now, courtesy of Aela, who had shrugged as she handed the weapon over.

"Eorland thought you should have a second weapon with the dragonbone he had left over," she had said simply.

Seranas response was to pick up the taller Nord woman and laugh as she spun her around before throwing her into the water before they set out. Hence the reason why Aela was eager to get the battle over with...she had a score to settle.

Morgan shook off her musings, feeling that hot feeling deep within her rear up once more. But she suppressed the feeling for the moment. She wanted to use it when it really mattered.

"Get ready," Morgan said as they closed in.

"Archers! On the tower NOW!"

Morgan cursed as she batted a sword away with her blade before slicing the skeletons arm that had been holding the weapon clean off with a savage swipe. She then lopped off the things head before cursing again. Everything had gone to plan...right up until they had landed on the small island.

Skeletons had risen from the ground the moment Morgans feet had touched the sandy shoreline, and their attack had bogged down. The only saving grace was that Odahviing and Durnehviir were still preventing any vampires of other would be attackers from crossing the vast bridge that led to the castle.

"Should have known," Valerica hissed as she sent two well aimed Ice Spikes into two skeletal foreheads before sighing at Morgan. "You couldn't have known either. Besides, they go down easily enough."

Morgan hadn't expected a small compliment like that but she hid her surprise well and nodded in thanks to her before meeting Seranas gaze, which was full of humour.

"Think of it as target practice," Serana commented brightly, casting a powerful Blizzard spell that rushed across the mass of skeletons that were blocking their progress.

"Fuck target practice, I was thinking of flying practice," Morgan smirked.

Valerica raised her eyebrows as Morgan stood up, cast a Ward spell with her free hand before letting out her favourite Shout.

"FUS...RO....DAH!"

The two dozen skeletons were bowled over instantly, half of them smashing into bone shards as the impacted on the bridge, the rocks surrounding the bridge and even each other. The rest were staggering to their feet...only to be cut down by a volley of arrows and crossbow bolts that had been fired from the three dozen archers that were surrounding the tower and the Dawnguard soldiers that had taken up position at the top of the tower itself.