Chapter 27

Galmar Stone-Fist smirked as he held his hand up to tell the horde of men beside him to stand their ground until he ordered it. There was no sign of anyone on the plains that surrounded Whiterun and the farms that surrounded the city seemed to be deserted. He readied his axe with his other arm, despite it being a battleaxe and lowered his hand for everyone to charge.

The few catapults started to throw balls of fire and tar. While most of them completely missed the walls and even the city, the fire that rained down would terrify and demoralise the defenders. It was shame that they hadn't had an army to fight against, but that didn't matter. All that mattered was that the Jarl was to be beheaded and one of the sympathisers to the Stormcloak cause was to be placed in charge.

"FOR ULFRIC!" he yelled as he started running, adrenaline charging through him as his comrades charged with him, yelling and screaming as they clutched their weapons.

And then someone seemed to explode, icy shards flying all over the place and embedding themselves into others.

Galmar slowed down slightly. He hadn't seen any mages or archers anywhere. So how had that happened?

"Magical traps sir!" one soldier yelled...just as he was set on fire as he tried to vault a small and battered fence.

"Bastard mages. Cowards!" Galmar yelled angrily. "Comrades, stay on the paths and roads!"

He should have thought that they would at least do some precautions he mused. It made sense to lay traps just in case they were to be attacked. Yes, they must have seen their scouts, but they hadn't know when they were going to come. And seeing as there was no sign of anyone still, he assumed that they would be able to get to the gates before anyone in Whiterun realised.

Morgan felt some satisfaction as she watched the stragglers continue to set off the magical traps and runes she had placed the night before. It was the first time she had used runes and seeing them work so well made her feel glad that she had taken some time out to prepare.

"Very impressive. That man really wasn't happy was he?" Serana remarked with a grin.

Morgan nodded. That huge man must be Ulfrics second in command. He was a fierce warrior and by all accounts, had a very large temper. She looked at Serana briefly while the rest of Whiteruns soldiers and guards remained hidden behind the barricades and walls to await the command to counterattack. Serana wore black leather armour that ended in a skirt-like way, black leggings and boots and a black hood. But what really caught her eye was her weapons.

Normally, Serana had been using some Elven daggers. They were very light and easy to keep sharp, but there were better daggers to use. And apparently, Eorland and Lydia had thought about that as well when they had made Morgans dragonbone sword that rested on her hip. Because Serana now had twin dragon bone daggers on her thighs, fire and ice enchantments on one of them, while the one had paralyse and shock enchantments.

Morgan had thought daedric daggers were wicked looking, but these daggers were something else entirely. The edges were so sharp, they could cut through leather armour as though they made of water. And with Seranas vampiric strength and speed, those daggers would be even more lethal.

"Nice aren't they?" Serana said as she watched another Stormcloak explode from setting off a trap in the centre of the road.

Morgan grinned. She had laid a few traps on the roads as well to slow them down even more...and it worked, as the army slowed down as to make sure they wouldn't set any more off. And that was what Irileth, who was eagerly watching the traps being set off, was waiting for. She stood up, raised her sword and waved it down.

And dozens of bows were drawn back before being set off, a deadly storm of arrows arching away from Whiterun and into the horde of Stormcloak soldiers.