Chapter 19

Jarl Balgruuf stormed into the main entrance as though Talos himself was right beside him. These were the musings that Irileth had as she started to engage the huge numbers of Thalmor soldiers that were inside the main hall. They had been taken by total surprise and the newly freed soldiers and the Jarl took full advantage as they charged into the enemy, not giving them time to regroup.

But as the fighting increased, Irileth knew that they couldn't keep this up for long. Already, the mages of the Thalmor were standing behind a line of heavily armed Thalmor soldiers and their hands were beginning to form ice, shock and fire spells.

"We need the Dragonborn to make her move" Irileth growled as she grabbed a Thalmor soldier in a headlock, broke his neck and discarded the body while talking to the Jarl.

Jarl Balgruuf nodded, but he had a grin on his face as he fought.

"I am sure she will turn up Irileth. In the meantime, I suggest we kill as many of these milk drinkers as we can. Agreed?"

Irileth grinned back at him now. This was the side of the Jarl that she loved seeing the most...a Jarl that didn't take any stick yet would count on others to help him. He hadn't shown this side in a while, but she was glad he did. Because when she saw Morgan, Serana, Farkas and Lydia all begin to slaughter the mages from leaping off the balcony above them, she knew that Jarl Balgruuf was correct. The Dragonborn had indeed had a plan.

Morgan grinned as Serana carried the huge form of Farkas over his shoulder as though he weighed a child and she sniggered as she heard Lydia calling her names that would make even the most stony faced soldier crack a smile at her choice of expletives.

"Lydia, has a dragon excreted in your mouth?"

"That explains it. She ate cabbage soup last night" Serana chuckled.

Farkas was trying hard not to laugh as well, but he knew that only these two vampires would be able to insult his lover like that. He certainly wouldn't try it, that was for sure. He may be a Companion and a werewolf, but he wasn't stupid.

They very leapt lightly onto the porch that overlooked the city, and Morgan let Lydia down gently, as did Serana with Farkas. Lydia punched Morgans arm quite hard as she unsheathed her blade and sighed.

"Next time, I am using stairs...or even Odahviing as an alternative. But no more leaping up vertical walls" Lydia said as she flexed her arm, ready for battle.

Farkas had unsheathed his battleaxe and was watching the vampire that had carried him up a sheer vertical wall without any effort. He had fought vampires before, but this particular one seemed to be much stronger than any other.

Serana had noticed his questioning gaze and smiled as she readied one hand with her favourite Ice Spike spell and her glowing red ebony longsword in the other.

"Lets just say Morgan and I aren't the regular vampires that live in caves" Serana said with a wink.

Morgan snorted as she took out her own ebony blade and applied the strongest poison she had. She wasn't fond of the Thalmor at all after seeing what conditions they had kept the Jarls' children. She may be a vampire but seeing the children in that cell...no, it was time she abandoned her feelings in this fight.

"We drop down from the balcony and we take them out from behind. They obviously didn't plan anyone getting in this way, which explains why there's no-one here. Ready?"

The other three saw the way the Dragonborns orange eyes were blazing a little darker than usual. Lydia shivered slightly but reined in her fear as she nodded to her. Farkas gave her a single nod in reply, his face not showing what he was feeling. Serana just smiled as she gave Morgan a light kiss on the lips before grinning.