Chapter 16

Morgan and Serana were sitting with Babette, watching the vampire girl expertly mix some ingredients within a bowl. While Morgan knew how to make poisons, Babette was a master at them, she mused. Not only were they so much more deadly, they were also easy to make and didn't use up as many components as she ended up using. Babette had grinned when she was asked how she made them so.

"I might tell you later...EEEEAGH!" she squealed as Morgan wrapped her arms round her and tickled her.

Babette may have been a vampire but she still retained the humorous side she had had as a little girl. She was released and she playfully tried to swipe at Morgans leg and met Seranas amused gaze.

"Why didn't you tell me she was going to do that?"

"It was too much fun to not let her do that" Serana replied with a snigger.

Then they looked around as Elisif came in and sat down near them, watching Liz walk around her pit. She was smiling slightly though as she observed the spider. She also felt the gazes of the three vampires on her but she didn't feel afraid. In fact, for the first time in years, she felt as though she were free to do whatever she wanted. Yes, she had lost her husband to that bastard Ulfric, but she was going to make him pay for that. But as she watched Liz, she knew that she would need true allies, ones that wouldn't betray her.

She wasn't sure about the Dark Brotherhood of course. They were hired killers if anything, despite what they had done for her. She wouldn't forget them though, in fact, she would help them if the need arose. But she also had to get her place back in Solitudes court.

"Elisif? Are you alright?"

Elisif looked up as the Dragonborn sat down beside her and placed a cold hand on her arm. Her orange eyes were sympathetic. She smiled at her sadly as she placed her hand over Morgans.

"Just thinking. You know, about everything. Now I know how you must have felt when everyone started asking you to take care of a dragon. Its like there's no end to it"

Morgan sighed.

"I think I have had an easier job than you Elisif. I was given gifts without my consent and I blundered into becoming a Dragonborn. But you had to contend with vipers in the courts and you couldn't trust anyone. I would rather face Alduin again than do what you had to put up with" Morgan replied simply.

Elisif chuckled.

"If only that were true" Elisif replied with a grin. "But thank you for your kind words and support"

There was silence for a few moments before Elisif spoke again.

"What do you think Ulfric would have said? About a temporary alliance with the Dark Brotherhood and the rest of us?"

Morgan had been thinking that since Astrid and the others had gone to Windhelm. She wasn't sure he would agree. He hated the Imperials, that was a given. But he would also hate the assassins for what they had done in the past and hadn't been caught doing it. Not to mention Ulfric was a complete and total...

The musings ended when Babette came in and her face didn't betray her emotions...but Morgan could sense the vampire child's anger in her eyes, which were slightly redder than usual.

"Babette?" Elisif asked.

"Astrid's back. And she has bad news"

"Bastard"

Astrid nodded at Morgans expletive as she sat down and nodded her thanks to Gabrielle, who was passing out drinks before meeting the Dragonborns gaze, as always trying not to shiver at the orange irises that stared back at her.