Chapter 5

Morgan yawned heavily, grateful of the guards arms keeping her upright. She had drunk way too much mead this time and she knew that somewhere in her ale-drenched mind, she was going to have a horrid morning-after feeling. But it had been an enjoyable occasion, not including the vampire obviously.

Wherever she had vanished to.

She sighed and gripped the chain mail armour of the guard a little heavier as they walked (or in her case, staggered) away from the still ongoing festivities and towards her home. She had caught a glimpse of Lydia and Farkas kissing in a dark corner of the area and she had sniggered briefly at the sight. But she was happy for her two closest friends. In her view, it was about time they kissed, they had been eying each other for months.

"Are you alright Dragonborn?"

She noted she was on one knee all of a sudden and she sniggered again as she hauled herself upright, trying not to imagine what would happen if she tweaked the guards' nose playfully.

"I...I'm fine...I think"

The guard softly laughed as he helped her through the door (after the two Dawnguard guards posted there opened it for them) and he helped her inside. The house was warm thanks a roaring fire downstairs. All she needed was someone...like Marcus. She felt the tears fall instantly and the guard was awkwardly patting her back as he slowly assisted her in climbing the stairs.

Morgan threw herself onto her bed and felt the covers being drawn over her, the sound of the guards footsteps receding as he went back downstairs and the door closed behind him. She was all alone for the first time in a while. She hadn't felt this alone since Helgen...where she had faced Alduin for the first time.

She rolled onto her back again and stared at the ceiling through tear filled and drunk eyes, wishing sleep would come quickly. Everyone seemed to have someone to look after them....

"Except me" she muttered softly.

She was asleep a few seconds later.

Serana had managed to hide the body of the Dawnguard soldier by throwing it into the vast network of sewers that ran under Whiterun. The skeevers would take care of the rest and the armour...well, she had ripped that apart so it wouldn't be noticed when the pieces came out of the outlet a few miles down near the river.

With that done, she surveyed the scene. She saw the Dragonborns Housecarl kissing what seemed to be...ugh, a werewolf. She could smell the beast from here. But to each their own, she mused with a wry grin as she watched a young girl chase a smaller boy, yelling at him about 'owing her a septim'. She had to smile a little at that.

Yes, show the Nord boy who is dominant little one.

She could see the Jarl, his ever present Dunmer right beside him and not even drinking, her hand resting on the hilt of her sword. She obviously hated such things. Or maybe she was just a stuck up Dunmer? Serana looked away and watched as yet more werewolves started drinking again at their table, roars of laughter as one of the new-starters tried to out-drink a rather stern woman with face paint all over her face...and failing as his head slumped onto the table a few seconds later.

Typical young male mortals. Never anticipating that they could meet someone far tougher and resilient than themselves.

She had to wonder what would have happened should the Dragonborn have tried drinking with that woman and failed. Would she pass out like the boy? Or maybe get angry and Shout the Nord woman into a wall? She hoped it would be the latter. And speaking of which...where was she? She scanned the area, the darkness as bright as daylight (ugh, horrid time of day)...and she spotted the rather drunk young woman being half carried away by a guard towards her home.