Chapter 13

Morgan ripped the attacking soldiers head off with a single blow of her arm and looked around. She saw Serana impaling a man against a tree with a barrage of ice spikes and he fell to the ground, shredded by the magical attack. Then she spotted Babette, clinging onto a soldiers back, her arms and legs wrapped around him while her fangs burrowed into his throat.

"We were only meant to have been scouting Falkreath" she murmured.

"Yes, well, these things happen" Serana replied as she came over, both of them watching for any signs of movement.

Babette came over a few seconds later, the front of her dress splattered with blood. But she was grinning, showing off her fangs in the soft moonlight.

"Its been a while since I last hunted like that. And wasn't there another one? I count six dead Imperial soldiers here"

Morgan and Serana exchanged a look before searching the area, Babette sniggering away at how they hadn't managed to count during a fight like that. And within two minutes, they found the dying man slumped in a small stream and holding his hand against a bloody wound on his torso. Morgan knew it was fatal by the way the blood poured out from between his fingers.

"Bloody...vampires....Tullius was...right...about killing...you...Dragonborn" he stammered, a thin line of blood now falling down his chin from his mouth.

Morgan rolled her eyes.

"Tullius probably doesn't even know his hair isn't just grey on his head"

Serana snickered at that while Babette gave Morgan a 'have you been taking jokes off Festus?' look. Morgan smiled at both of her kin and nodded to Babette.

"You didn't get a full feeding like we did...suppertime, Babette"

Babette smirked.

"Thank you Morgan, you're so kind" she said, before walking over to the now whimpering wounded soldier and daintily sitting on his lap, wrenching his hands away and pinning them to the ground before tearing into his throat with her fangs.

Morgan and Serana just watched as she fed, while keeping an eye out for any more surprises. It had only meant to have been a scouting trip to the small town. They were after information about how far the Legion had come and whether the Thalmor had turned up. They hadn't found anything that related o Seranas father...but they had encountered the Imperial patrol as they were returning from Falkreath. And of course, they recognised Morgan right away and attacked a group of vampires.

"Idiots" Serana snorted.

Morgan just nodded as Babette stood up from the now-still soldier and walked back to them, wiping her mouth clean of blood and looking up at them with that childish quality she still retained even after 300 years of being a vampire.

"That feels better, although Astrid might blow her top if she sees the state of my dress like this"

Serana smirked.

"I doubt she will say anything, she will know that we prevented them from telling anyone about our whereabouts Babette"

"True...oh and Morgan? Have you been listening to Festus? That joke was....unclean"

"Actually, I got that one from Arnbjorn. He challenged me to use it at some point. And now he and Nazir owe me 100 gold pieces" Morgan grinned back at her.

Their laughter exploded out of them as they made their way back to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. If anyone had been alive to hear them, they would have felt goose bumps on their skin.

"Babette...Ugh, never mind, I don't want to know" Astrid said when they returned.

Babette grinned and skipped away as Astrid turned to the two vampires before her. She cocked her head and smiled.