Chapter 38

"Dead? All of them?"

Morgan merely nodded and said nothing as she watched Jarl Elisif slump back into her chair and run her hands across her face. She felt shame on herself for having to bring her such horrid news, but at the same time, Morgan felt that she needed to know these things since Tullius was no longer around. Rikke would act upon this though she mused.

And she was right in her assumptions as General Rikke nodded to her before turning to Elisif.

"Its regrettable My Jarl, but after not hearing from the city in days..." she trailed off.

There was silence for a few seconds before Elisif replied.

"Yes, of course. Its unfortunate. Is there any inkling as to how the entire population massacred each other Morgan?" Elisif enquired as she took a few breaths to compose herself.

Morgan had always hated lying. It was something that she never tried to do, but ever since she had become Dragonborn, she had had to lie to protect others. Sometimes it was harmless, like telling Camilla about Faendal and Sven's' plans for her future. She deserved better than those two little bastards. But other lies were much more serious. One of them involved telling Fralia Grey-Mane about her son leaving Skyrim. That part was true, but she hadn't told the old woman about the fact he wouldn't be coming back unless the Thalmor left...and that was highly unlikely.

"Serana and I were attacked the moment we arrived My Jarl. I am afraid we didn't get time to find out the cause. I apologise." Morgan managed to utter softly.

Elisif shook her head and smiled weakly.

"No. Don't apologise Morgan. You are alive and well and that is more important that risking your life for something that has no meaning."

It was moments like this that made Morgan feel satisfied that Elisif was the best choice for Skyrim's next leader. She was compassionate and treated her subjects fairly, but she also had a backbone and always did what she thought was best for everyone. Morgan felt her stomach churn a little more at her lie but she forced it down again.

"Thank you My Jarl." Morgan replied.

"You mentioned you had other news?" Elisif prompted as a few seconds of eerie silence passed.

Morgan nodded.

"I do, My Jarl. Serana and I encountered Stormcloaks at Markarth. And we also came across a patrol on the way here."

"Dammit!" Rikke blurted out before holding a hand out to apologise for her outburst.

Elisif waved her apology away. She knew that it took something extremely serious for Rikke to speak out of turn like that. She also knew that Rikke had enough pressure on her young shoulders already, and she didn't want to add to it.

"This is grave news indeed," Elisif spoke as she stood up, smoothed her skirts down and walked next to Rikke. "Can we increase our patrols on the road?"

Rikke seemed impressed in Morgans view as she appraised the young Jarl.

"I can allot a few more soldiers to every patrol My Jarl, but we are running thin already, what with the dragon attacks and now the vampires to contend with." Rikke explained.

"See to it as fast as you are able. Morgan, I assume you came here for another reason?" Elisif said as she turned to her.

"I did My Jarl. Serana, Aela and I have an idea how to rid everyone of the vampire attacks."

Morgan felt a little ridiculous at saying this. After all, she and Serana were vampires.

"And that is?" Rikke asked, curiosity in her eyes.