Chapter 26

Another week passed and Morgan and Serana were sitting inside Dragonsreach and laughing at the children that chased each other round the table in the centre of the room. Lydia and Farkas were sitting beside them and were talking quietly as the rest of the people there drank, sang and some were even kissing.

Jarl Balgruuf smiled at the sight. It had been a rough few weeks as everyone began to work together so that Whiterun would be better prepared against a possible attack from the Stormcloaks. A few scouts had been sighted in the last few days, and Balgruuf was certain that Ulfric had had enough and wanted to make an impression by gaining a vital Hold and showing off his ability as a leader.

"Milk drinker." Balgruuf muttered.

"I would have thought 'shithead' would be a better name for him." Morgan said with a grin after overhearing him.

Balgruuf chuckled as he drank from his tankard before replying. The Dragonborn had been helping every single person it seemed. Every time he saw her and her companion, she was doing something for the people. Sometimes she was helping forge weapons and armour at the blacksmiths, other times she had been making enchanted items for the people, and one time he had even seen her help braid his daughters hair while gently Shouting insults at people in whispers.

He had been laughing ever since seeing that last moment.

"Very true. Do you think he will do it though?"

Morgan nodded.

"I think he will. After not being able to gain any ground since Tullius died, he's getting desperate now for a victory. He sees that if he gets a victory, he will gain new followers to his cause and may even get another Jarl to back him up." Morgan replied softly as she sipped her wine.

Balgruuf nodded at her words. He knew she was an intelligent woman, but who would have thought that she had a warriors mind as well? As if reading his thoughts, Kodlak Whitemane joined in with the discussion after being silent all evening.

"I have to agree as well My Jarl. But if he should try anything, you will have my axe." Kodlak said with a smile that almost reached his eyes.

Balgruuf raised an eyebrow. He knew that Kodlak was a mighty warrior in his own way, but he also believed that the Companions shouldn't get involved in politics in general. What had made him change his opinion?

Kodlak chuckled now.

"I know that you are confused so let me explain. You see, Whiterun is my home. Our home. We will not allow some False King to dictate how we live when the same False King never has the courage to lead his armies in battle. No, we cannot abide this sort of cowardice, and we will not allow Ulfric Stormcloak to get a single foot inside Whiterun!"

Morgan smiled as the elderly man shouted the last sentence at high volume. She admired him for his bravery and dedication to his home. The thought of her old home and her mother was still fresh on her mind though, and she didn't say anything as everyone else cheered and applauded Kodlaks words.

Kodlak just nodded as he sat back down, and Balgruuf raised his mug towards him.

"To the Companions."

"To Whiterun and Skyrim." Kodlak replied.

"To the Dragonborn!"

Everyone looked at Aela and Vilkas, who had yelled the last toast as loud as they could.

Morgan was thankful that she couldn't really blush anymore, but even so, she felt embarrassed at being the centre of attention again. And when Kodlak and Balgruuf joined in with toasting her, she gave Serana a look.