Chapter 45

Jace's POV.

It's been a week since Anna and I last talked. I gotta be honest, it's killing me.

Or maybe it's the alcohol.

I've managed to go to school, with a few days left of junior year. It's been hard, seeing Anna in the halls. I'm not over what happened. It happened so fast, as if she just wanted to get it over with. I can't blame her for this. I know her dad, and I know his parenting by now.

I lay on the couch in Corey's basement, taking a large swallow of the cold vodka. Corey sits in next of me on one of the matching chairs, and Sean sits on the other.

"It's been a week, Jace," Corey states.

"Yeah, it has." I reply.

"You can't keep beating yourself up about this," Sean says.

I nod. "Well, yeah I can. It just replays, exactly what she said. It replays in my head over and over. I can't forget any moment, much less think of a moment that doesn't involve her," I say.

Corey and Sean look at each other. "You can't drink away your pain-"

"I have other times. It seems to work out perfectly," I say, taking another guzzle.

Corey rolls his eyes. "We gotta get you somewhere. Somewhere that isn't one of our houses or school."

I smirk, wiping my chin. "Where would that be?"

Corey looks down, tapping his foot against the floor. "I'm not sure, what if we go paintballing?"

I shrug my shoulders, thinking of my decision. "Maybe."

Corey cracks a slight grin and nods. "Tomorrow?" Sean asks. I nod.

Anna's POV.

I lay on the couch, flipping through channels. I sigh as my weak limbs roll off the couch. I close my eyes, feeling my stomach churn. I try to pick up my legs, but I'm just too weak. I try to pick up my body to walk to the kitchen, but I'm so weak, I fail to stand up.

This, is what depression is like.

I've been like this ever since I broke up with Jace. In the weeks time, my anger towards everyone has grown. My care for everyone has decreased. My self hatred and doubt has increased as well.

My family hasn't bothered trying to cheer me up. It's as if I'm invisible. They walk past me in the living room, and no one calls me down for dinner. Why should they? It's not like I can eat anyways. It simply hurts just opening my mouth to speak.

I roll over onto my back. I stare at the ceiling, feeling the cool breeze of the fan from the corner of the living room blow towards me.

"Anna?" My mom asks softly, from the basement.

I gulp as I turn my head to her. I look at her, until she knows to reply.

She walks over and sits on the couch next to my legs. She rests her hand on my thigh, and gently pats it. I look at her hand.

"I hate seeing you like this," She says softly. "It kills me."

I roll my eyes.

"I know you don't want to go anywhere, but I made an appointment for us at a spa. I was hoping we could spend some time together," She says.

My eyes widen as I look at her. "R-R-Really?" I stutter.

She nods. "You're my baby, Anna-Banana. I don't want you to go through this anymore. I wanna see you smile just like you did when you were a little girl, because that was my favorite smile to see."