Chapter 4

Jace's POV.

The police are looking for the guys who robbed the gas station on 5th Ave. Hopefully, we aren't caught. I'd really like to keep my portion of that money.

I walk into my history class. Anna sits at her desk with her legs crossed.

I gotta be honest, Anna is nice. She's welcoming. I know she just wants to be friends. But I'm the complete opposite. I don't make friends that way. Hell, I don't make friends. I've got Sean, Jack, Corey, Peyton, and I guess Alexia too. I don't need anyone else. Anna is pretty too. But I can't be friends with her. Much less anyone from this school.

Anna looks up. She bites her lip. "Hi," She says softly. I lift up my head and nod. I pull out my chair and sit down.

Anna looks at me. She looks at my leather jacket, and her eyes trail down to my shoes. Her eyes slowly move up to my hair. She sighs. She blinks, then looks away.

"Anna?"

She quickly turns back. Her eyes wide open. "Y-Yes?"

I look at her naturally wavy brunette hair. Her sparkling blue eyes. She parts her lips.

"Nothing," I shake my head.

She looks at my hair again. Her eyes move to my eyes, then my lips.

This chicks checking me out. My god, I can't let her fall for me. She should fall for a boy like her. NOT a rebellious criminal like me.

"Anna," I say again.

Anna snaps out of her thoughts and looks me straight in the eye. "Sorry," She says. I crack a smile. "You're checking me out."

She squints her eyes. "What? No. Not at all," She says. She's quick to reply.

"Uh. Well, I know when chicks are checking me out. I know when they've got the hots for me. You're definitely falling for me," He says. "It's not a bad thing."

Anna starts blushing. She looks down. She licks her lips. "It kinda is," She says softly. I tilt my head. She stands up and pushes her chair in. She stands up straight and walks to the door. She pushes it open and walks out.

Anna knows. She's heard rumors and stories already. I can't help that people can't mind their own business. She knows it's wrong to fall for me. I know you can't control love.

Anna's POV.

I hurry to the bathroom. I open the door and walk in. I let it close behind me as I stand in front of the sink. I take a few deep breaths as I look down, my hands on both sides of the sink.

Am I just that naive that Jace knows my feelings and I don't? Maybe this is just a silly phase. Maybe I'm not really all that attracted to him. Maybe his looks are just appealing.

What will Kathleen think? I can't possibly tell her that I fell for the guy who she's been trying to keep me away from. It's not a good thing that I'm interested in Jace. Jace doesn't know I have strict parents. He thinks it's cute that I have a crush on him. It's not cute. It's pathetic. I can't talk to him without screwing up words.

I look up at myself in the mirror. My wavy brunette hair is half up-half down. The small amount of eye makeup brings out my blue eyes. And my light colored lip stick matches my cream colored cardigan and white tank top. I tilt my head to the left, thinking about Jace.

I've never felt this attracted to someone. It's almost as if this is just a game. It's not real. Jace is just a random guy my age who happens to be cute. My feelings will go away. That's what I think. But I feel a different way.