Chapter 7

Anna's POV.

I sit in my bedroom, scrolling through social media again. I took a shower and now I'm in a comfy onesie. All ready for bed.

Even though it's only seven.

I don't plan on doing anything else until ten, so I guess it's fine.

Today was great. Despite getting a negative reaction from everyone, I had fun. I felt like a new me. I had fun hanging out on the rooftop with Jace. It felt like it was a safe place to just rant out our feelings.

There's knocks on my bedroom door. "Savannah Rae! Open the door!"

I look up at the door. "Savannah! Savannah Rae!"

I groan and stand up. I walk to the door and open it. My dad stands outside the door. He has his arms crossed. "I got a call from your dean. He said you were in his office today."

My eyes widen. "Yeah?"

"You were wearing clothing that's against school policy and you were using inappropriate language."

I lick my lips and look down. "It was just something different," I say.

"Something different? What is this? This isn't you. This is disturbing," He says.

"Disturbing? You're not supporting me? I want to change. Being an innocent and quiet christian girl isn't me. I like to dress the way I want to dress. I don't care if it reveals my stomach, or my knees. I like cussing. I like freedom of speech," I say.

"Savannah Rae, you're grounded. This is unacceptable. Get rid of the clothing. Get rid of mouth," He says.

I look down. He walks away. I slam my door. "Stop it!" My dad yells.

"Fuck off," I mumble to myself. I sit on the bed.

***

Jace's POV.

It was block today, so I haven't seen Anna yet. On block, we don't have our core classes. We have the ones we choose.

Surprise! This school actually lets you choose what classes you want!

I know Anna has a crush on me, and I know she's a good person. But she won't leave me alone. I don't help with it I guess. I'm always flirting back. Of course she's gonna wanna be by me.

I guess I should be less of a jerk. She just had a fight with her best friend. She must be lonely. Then again, I was lonely and I had nothing but alcohol and cigarettes.

I have mixed feelings. I like Anna. I just don't want her to change herself into a bad person like I did. I love that she's exploring and trying to enjoy her teen years, but I'm afraid she'll lose control. She'll end up a drug addicted criminal, like me.

I really don't want to fall in love with anyone. But there's just so much about her that makes me feel in love. Her compliments, how curious she is, her style, her knowledge, her humor. It's come to the point I can make a list of reasons why I like her.

I sit on the rooftop, smoking a cigarette. I lick my lips.

"I figured you'd be here," Anna says. I look over. She wears a cream colored knit sweater and ripped skinny jeans. Her curly hair up in a pony tail. She walks over.

"And you were right," I say. I flick the ash of my cigarette off over the edge of the building.

She sits next to me. "I've had three people come up to me and call me a desperate slut today." She says. "It kinda hurt." She looks down.