[the real world]

{Dan's POV}

When I get back up to the waiting room, everyone else has already gone inside and seen him. I look around the small, cold room, at all the crying people. Breathlessly, I just stand there, not sure if I even want to go in there. 

Its all too.. quiet. 

My friends sat in the waiting room, unable to stay in the room, and none of them would tell me what it was. 

I'm lead to a room, and the door is held open for me. I walk in and hear the door close. 

Cords, IV's, beeping monitors, bandages. 

I look to the body in the bed, bandaged up and paler then ever. He looks, well, dead. 

I caused this. 

I immediately start crying, and end up doing exactly that for the next hour. 

Phil's mom comes in to talk to me, which worries me quite a bit. "Hey, How are you holding up?"

"I'm.. Alright." I say eventually, wiping my puffy eyes and sniffling. 

"So heres what the doctor said. He got real lucky with the gunshot wound, that should heal in quite a bit. There are other minor injuries, like you have, but there is one main thing. Because of his head injury, he is in a coma." She manages to say, and I can't help but think, how is this woman holding it together? I can barely breathe.

"H-How long will it last for?" I stutter, biting my lip and looking towards him. 

"Days, weeks, months.. There isn't much of a way to tell." She says sadly, looking down. The room grows silent apart from my shaky breathing. "Hey, I'll be out there. Don't tear yourself apart in here alright?"

"Okay." I say softly, my eyes on the boy in the bed. 

Soon I'm left alone in the room, sitting in an old chair next to the bed. 

--PHIL'S POV--

I'm stuck in infinite darkness, my mind flooded with memories and blurry voices. 

I don't know where I am. I'm hoping I'm not dead, but its extremely hard to think right now. 

Then, an infinite white light shining in my eyes and a calm feeling makes me stop thinking. I listen to a door open, and silence, until a miserable sob breaks through. I can't make out quite who it might be, but whoever it is  not happy, at all. 

This makes me think, am I dead? Am I almost dead? 

The burning brightness stops my thoughts and I focus on the sounds, as that is the only sense I have. I can here someone pull a chair next to me, and sit down, the cries not stopping. 

Then a hand grabs mine, and although I can feel it, its faint, and I can't do anything in return. 

"I'm so sorry." A voice chokes out, and although I know it is coming from the body next to me, it feels so far away. "I love you." The same voice mumbles, as lips hit my knuckles. Then it hits me, that's Dan. 

It makes me want to get out of here. It makes me want to get back to the real world. 

After a bit I hear someone else come in, and faint voices mumble something I can't hear. 

Soon enough, Dan is gone.