Chapter 18 | Warning Signs

I looked down at Raysen's hand still holding the ends of the hoodie. He had some bruises there too. Almost as if whoever he fought had a strong grip on his wrists.

The question if I should tell him it was Shane's hoodie was continuously looping through my mind. Would he react the same way Shane does if I brought both of them up? The endless amount of questions kept filling my mind over and over again.

"Jade?" Raysen's voice shook me out of my daze.

I brought my attention back to him and shook my head. "Don't worry about it," I simply answered.

I didn't want to stir things up or make his blood boil if I told him about Shane. It would be better if I just stayed quiet for now. On top of that, I wouldn't know what to do if I had both boys that mattered so much to me, against me.

He gave me a confused look, but let it slide anyway. I could tell there were thoughts floating around his mind also. The expression he had on his face was one I had seen many times before, during our tutoring session. He'd use it when a problem would be too difficult, or when it just wouldn't add up.

"I'm sorry I ruined your sleepover," he apologized.

I shook my head, "You didn't ruin it."

"So, do all of your friends wear nighties like that to sleepovers?" he asked with a smirk on his face.

Oh gosh, he saw that in the dark? I didn't think it was noticeable.

My face heated with embarrassment. "Shut up! I can tell you're back to your old self," I exclaimed.

"No, seriously, I'd come crashing all your sleepovers, tutor girl," he chuckled.

His hands found their way back to my sleeves and played with them. He took my hand in his and blew warm air onto them.

"Your hands are freezing cold," he muttered.

"Yeah, it's kind of chilly in here."

I didn't want to look at him like this. Not in this state, not where he was physically hurt. It hurts me to see him injured.

"Hey," he whispered lifting my chin up to look him in the eyes, "-what's on your mind?"

I gave him a half smile. "You."

"I like the sound of that," he confessed.

He sat up straighter and inched his way closer to me. It was almost impossible to tear my eyes away from his. I tried my best to look anywhere but those beautiful eyes. My gaze followed down the rest of his bruised up body.

There was no way that I could be into the boy I was tutoring, but somehow it felt appropriate, and in the moment.

Right as I was about to say something, he ran his thumb over mine, sending shivers down my back, startling me. I looked back into his eyes and this time his expression was serious and intense.

He slowly leaned his way in. We were now inches away from each other. I could hear his breathing getting shallower by the second.

Out of the blue, I hear the familiar ringtone coming from my phone, making me pull away from Raysen.

"Of course," he muttered.

I brought my phone out of my pocket and answered it. "Hello?"

"Jade, I'm going home, meet me there when you're done," Shane said.

"Okay, drive safe."

I ended the call so he could get back home quickly. I totally forgot he was still waiting outside for me.