Chapter 9: Defective Detectives

In the past three hours I've learnt three things.

1. Couches are very uncomfortable.

2. It's impossible to sleep when your ex-best friend who you slept with last week and spent 24 incredible hours together who is also extremely attractive is sleeping in a room a few metres away.

3. Someone in this house snores very loudly.

So here I am, tossing and turning on the very small couch, trying to sleep but letting my thoughts over power my exhaustion. I just want to sleep, but I can't. I can't stop thinking about Harry. I can still smell him, his intoxicating smell. I'm in his home town, in the house he grew up in.

I sit up at the sound of footsteps coming down the hall. My phone tells me its 3:30am, who is awake?

"Can't sleep either?" A shirtless Harry comes into view at the end of the hall. Why does he do this to me? My heart falters just at the sight of his perfect body.

"No." I frown. Its early morning and I don't have the energy to be mean.

He crosses the room and turns on the lamp beside the couch. "Can I sit?" He asks, wearily, running a hand through his messy bed hair.

"It's your house." I shrug.

"I know but-" He cautiously loiters at the end of the couch.

"Harry sit." I laugh. What has gotten into me?

"Okay." He laughs.

"Why can't you sleep?" I ask as he sits down and pulls some of the blanket over to him, I sit and face him.

"You." He laughs. "Why can't you sleep?"

"You." I laugh.

"God we're a mess." He sighs.

"I know." I frown.

"i just want things to go back to how they were before." Harry says.

"Me too." I agree, but its not that easy.

"You do?" Astonishment laces his voice, his eyes brighten and a smile creeps across his face.

"Don't get your hopes up. Of course I do Harry. You were my best friend. Just because I want things to go back to how they were, doesn't mean they can." I can't escape the fact that I want him to climb on top of me right now, thats the reason we can't be friends.

"Why not?" He whines, scooting closer to me on the couch.

"You know why not." Don't make me say it.

"No I don't."

"I can't even look at you without thinking about the other weekend." I say, straining my voice with frustration.

"Really?" A glimpse of pride flashes across his face.

"Yes."

"Oh. I think about it too."

"What do you think about it?"

"Well...I mean, it was pretty great, wasnt it?" He smiles and his eyes meet mine, I can't help but smile too.

"Yeah...I guess it was."

"You guess?" He raises his eyebrows and acts offended.

"It was. More than great...it was...different."

"It was...but I think we both know we're not meant to be together like that. I'm in love with Fleur, and you've said before you're too busy for a relationship. We've been friends for ages, doesn't it strike you odd that it hasn't happened sooner? If we were meant to be together, it would've happened sooner." He says softly, and I think I believe him. He sounds rational, calculated and logical. Harry doesn't normally sound like this. It pleases me immensley to know how much he's thought about it.