-25-

"You are thinking too hard about something, I can see it in your face, Pete." Patrick says his calloused fingertips stroking the stubble along my jaw. 

"I'm just thinking about something on my mind, don't worry about it 'Trick." I smile and lean my forehead against his and just let myself take in being near him again. I run a hand along the soft hairs on the back of his neck. 

I never knew how much I wanted this until I couldn't have it, I lost this because I messed up. I feel Patrick's hands on my cheeks and hear his voice softly whispering. I open my eyes and look down into Patrick's swimming blue-green eyes filled with concern and I feel my heart flutter. "Tell me, Pete, what is going on with you?" His voice is firmer as I realize he is wiping tears off of my cheeks. I bite my lip and sigh.

"I can't do it, I can't tell you because you won't understand." I choke on my words and suddenly Patrick is pulling me into a hug.

"Pete, it's okay if you are here to bring me with you I can go now. You are the only one that I want, forever. I know that now for certain." Patrick sounds so earnest and his voice is filled with so much love and compassion and I look at him.

"No Patrick I am here to do quite the opposite, I can't let you die I won't kill you again. Patrick promise me when I leave you will live your life until you die as an old man be happy with someone else. I can't do this to you." I pull back and now it is Patrick who has tears on his face.

"Pete no." He says his voice is small and fragile.

"Patrick I can't let you do this because I kill you," I yell out and Patrick's eyes widen as he looks at me I pull out of his embrace and his fingertips reach out trying to grasp onto me.

"Pete I couldn't think of a better way to go than in your arms." Patrick whispers and I close my eyes and put my hands over them.

"No Patrick, I don't mean now, this won't make any sense to you but Patrick understand me now, I will not subject you to the life you had with me, you deserve so much better." 

Patrick looks at me and I see the softness turn into anger and he grabs my wrist and pulls me right up into his face. "You tell me what the hell is going on right now." His voice is low and angry his face getting red and I know that look that is Patrick's Im-ten-seconds-away-from-killing-someone face. I gulp and look into his eyes.

"It's one hell of a story and I only remember bits and pieces of it." I see a flicker of confusion and curiosity on his face. He takes my hand and we walk out of the field, Patrick tugs me along by the wrist and I have no idea where we are going.

We end up by a river bed hidden by a dense thicket of trees and brush. Patrick sits down on a large stone and I follow suit. "Where is the Peter that I know?" Patrick says looking at me and I gulp. "You once told me that angels have plenty of magic I would never be able to understand, I don't understand much but I do know Peter. You are him but not him at the same time, so tell me what exactly is going on here."

"That would be the long story Patrick, the thing is I am Pete but from probably over two hundred years ahead of this point in time." That gets me a look from Patrick and I gulp "I was sent back in time to keep you from dying, only I thought I was stopping you from dying when you are an angel." Patrick's interest perks up.

"So I become an angel with you?" He smiles and I sigh.

"it's not all that I think you hope it is, Patrick we can't be together if you become an angel," I say and he looks at me with so much hope. 

"But we would have forever Pete, together don't you want me?" Tears spill over his cheeks and I feel pain inside my chest.

"I do but I mess up Patrick, I ruin everything and now this is the only way I can keep you safe. So please, please Patrick I need you to forget about me. I can't hurt you not now not ever." I stand and kiss his forehead I unfold my wings I need to leave quickly before I say or do something stupid. I shoot up into the air high above the tree tops and I think that that is going to be it.

When I land far away onto a dirt road I wait to be brought back to a life where I never killed Patrick, because he was never an angel now, to begin with. But it doesn't happen instead I get a weird feeling in my gut and suddenly the world is moving spinning around me in a blur of color and I am back in the corn field by Patrick's house. 

I rush to the door and knock on it. I half expect to have been reset that Patrick will open the door with a smile on his face from seeing me but no one is answering the door and the sun is going down and with it the temperature dropping. I try the door only to have it fall open. 

"Patrick?" I call out and I don't hear anything. I stand still and focus my hearing until I hear one heartbeat upstairs. I sprint up the stairs and bust open the door to Patricks room. The scent hits me first a thick copper smell and I gasp when I see Patrick's wide hurt eyes on the bed. 

"Pete." He cries and I see the blade in his hand and the blood pouring from his skin and I run forward and grab him in my arms. 

"No Patrick, NO you weren't supposed to do this." He reaches up a blood covered hand a smile on his face as he cups my cheek.

"I needed to see you again, it's been too long, Pete. My mom died you left me here. When I needed you, you left and I couldn't live like this Pete. Take me with you." His voice is so soft, so fragile and I feel tears on my own face. I did this. I killed Patrick twice and it is all my fault.

"I failed you." I cry and Patrick's thumb runs along my cheek bone. 

"You came back for me Peter." He smiles and I cry harder. How do I feel so guilty for not being the version of myself that he needs right now? I hold him closer.

"I will take care of you," I say tears streaking down my face.  I lift Patrick from the bed and out of the front door his face pales and his blood trails the floor behind us soaking into my clothing as we walk beneath the clear night sky. 

I try and hold back my sobs knowing with every step I am carrying Patrick right back to the life that we had. The life that ends with me killing him. My knees feel weak as I clutch Patrick to me I can see the life slipping from his body with every step. The air is cold and no matter how close I hold him I can feel the warmth seeping out of him.

I unfold my wings and hold Patrick close his hand falls from my face and his body goes limp in my arms as my feet leave the ground.