-11-

I pace the roof for a moment trying to reach into that blank space in my mind that was my life before 18 because I want to know why. Why would I ever do something like that too myself.

"What happens when an angel looses their wings?" I ask quitely.

"They become mortal." my younger self replies. I pause for a moment and consider this. What reason would I need to become mortal? Was it for someone or did I just not want to be an angel anymore?

"How do you become an angel?" I ask and my younger self is looking increasingly uncomfortable.

"You have to die as a mortal." I pause and look at him straight on.

"When did I die?" I ask barely above a whisper and the guy shifts nervously and bites his lip.

"You died in 1774." I suck in a quick breath and stare wide eyed at my younger self.

"Thats impossible." I say and then repeat it louder causing my younger self to cringe.

"Its not impossible its the truth you were 18 years old for nearly 250 years. I guess one day you didn't want to be that anymore. Thats why you age but no one else in your band ages with you if you can honestly tell me that anyone there looks a day older than when you first meet you are seriously in denial."

My head hurts but now thinking back I realize he is right. That day I bumped into Patrick he didn't look a day over 25 with his sandy blond hair and cherub like good looks I fell for him immediately now that I am nearly 28 (I know he is really older than that but go with me here) Patrick still hasnt aged only started wearing different clothes and cutting his hair different. It was the same with Joe and Andy both of them only changing their hair and clothes to give the appearance of aging.

I sit down on the roof and contimplate my entire life which I can only remember 10 years of. My head aches with all this information and the only thing that prevails threw all the messed up thoughts is the question 'why?' because I honestly have no idea and that scares the shit out of me. Why would I ever strip myself of immortality to be a mortal?

The younger me comes and sits next to me patting my back slightly and I wish it was comforting but honesty its pretty weird.

" So why are you not 18?" I ask and he looks at me and shrugs.

"They weren't my wings to have. I am simply a place holder for them when I die they will be given to a new soul who deserves them. I am not immortal because I was never a true person in the first place. Simply a creation of angels to retain balance."

"So I could never have my wings back?" At this question he shrugs again.

"I don't know actually perhaps you could because they were yours to begin with they may come back to their full brilliance if you took them back." I nod and look out to the city and sigh. I have no idea what to do with this information. 

"So how did Patrick die?" I ask on a whim.

"You would have to ask him. The only thing I know for sure from what I heard from the other angels is you knew him long before your accident." I take this into consideration and realize it makes sense because it would explain why Patrick hugged me the first time I remember seeing him.

I really need to talk to Patrick. Speaking of which  " So how do we save Patrick?"

"Thats the tricky thing he is in the same warehouse you were but he also is in a cage in an angel proof room. I could get you to the room but it have to be you that went in and got him out. You couldn't exit the window you would have to make it out one of the doors."

He continues rambling off a battle plan and I nod taking in every word making sure to remember the important bits like where the guards usually are and that if I run into a demon its game over.

We spend the rest of the night planning different scenarios and when the sun finally rises the plan is set.

"What happens if we get him out safely?" I ask sitting back on the ground with my younger self.

"Well the demons are planning something big. All the angels can tell you can almost feel the negative energy in the air. We could have a full on war." I nod and walk to the edge of the roof and watch the sun rise.

Patrick if you can hear me I am coming for you. Stay safe.