-24-

Patrick leads me into his house. It's hot and dusty in here and everything looks like it belongs in some sort of museum. Of course, Patrick is also wearing an outfit very similar to mine, pants that hang a little loose on his hips, a brown yellow plaid vest with a white shirt underneath that looks like it has seen better days. He has his sleeves rolled up and I think this may be the only time I have ever seen Patrick with a tan. 

I walk up to him and grab his hands studying the thick callouses on his fingertips and dirt under his nails. He is a hard worker, this must be his farm. A noise of a woman calling to Patrick makes me rethink that statement.

"Patrick honey who is this visitor?" An older woman comes in her brown hair streaked with gray wearing a floor length dress. The tips of Patrick's ears turn pink as he looks at me through his lashes. 

"Just an old friend mama, I met him in the village." His mother nods giving me a small curtsy before leaving the room. Patrick turns a full beam smile on me and grabs my hand pulling me through the house. 

"I have something to show you, Peter I think you will be very proud." I smile and let Patrick lead me up the old farm houses stairs. I can't help but gaze around in awe at all the old things hanging on the walls. From the embroidery to the wooden carvings of chickens its amusing how much things have changed. 

We reach what I can only assume is Patrick's room, which is tiny the only light is coming in through the small window above the bed. There is hardly enough space to stand in here with the bed and a small desk crammed in the corner. 

"See here it is." Patrick starts digging around under his bed and then pulls out a sheet of paper. He sits cross-legged on the floor and looks up at me shyly. 

"I know you don't particularly enjoy being the subject of them but... I just couldn't help myself. Here look." Patrick holds the paper out to me and my breath rushes out for a split second. Smudged onto the paper with charcoal is a hand drawn a picture of me.

In the picture I am standing by a creek my shirt is gone, I mean I still never have a shirt who knew it was always that way. My wings are spread out behind me I can almost remember this happening it's at the edge of my mind trying to scratch its way to the surface. "Patrick, I didn't even know you drew this is beautiful." I look at Patrick who looks slightly confused.

"Peter I always show you my drawings silly." He laughs lightly and I want to slap myself in the face. Of course, I should know that he has been living some sort of life with this past form of me. This wasn't the first time we had meet.

"I mean I didn't know you held such a great talent for the arts," I say with a smile and Patrick's face lights up. Patrick takes the picture back and tucks it underneath his mattress. I help him to his feet and he pulls me around yet again. This time leading me out of the house, "So Peter what brings you here this time?" Patrick asks and I scramble for something to say. Did I always have a purpose when I came to see him?

"I came here for you," I say and Patrick stops dead giving me a scared look.

"You don't mean..." He trails off.

"Oh god, no I didn't mean like that I meant like I missed you and wanted to see you." I stammer and Patrick instantly relaxes. 

"You have been speaking in an awfully odd tone, Peter." He comments but doesn't imply that he wants the explanation.

"Please just call me Pete," I say, the way he calls me Peter makes me itch it sounds way too formal to be coming from his lips.

"Okay, Pete." He laughs at the name, clearly weird things like that nickname are not a thing in whenever the heck we are. 

He continues pulling me along by the arm. Then checks around us seemingly checking to see if anyone is around. I glance around too curious at this point wondering if anyone could possibly be hiding in this ridiculously tall corn field with us. Damn my shortness. Patrick smiles and looks at me when he confirms that we are alone. 

"May I kiss you?" He asks so politely I almost want to laugh at how different this version of Patrick is from the stubborn, sarcastic take-no-ones-shit version of Patrick I know. I smile and nod pulling Patrick forward and planting a kiss onto his soft lips. 

I may be an angel but this is what heaven really feels like. I remember how when we were both angels how touching would burn us. At least from what I remember of that time. I lick Patrick's bottom lip playfully and he squeals and hops away wiping at his mouth. "Peter what was that?" he giggles his lips red and slightly swollen his pupils bigger and cheeks tinged pink. 

"Just something I learned." I smile and Patrick pouts.

"Have you been kissing others?" He asks sadly. 

"No of course not Pattycakes I only want to kiss you, always," I say and Patrick looks even more confused. 

"You are acting off Pete is everything alright with you?" He asks walking forward and placing the back of his hand on my forehead. "Are you ill? What is it." I can tell he is joking by the lightness of his tone. 

"Nothing wrong just smitten with a certain farm boy," I say and Patrick turns bright red and grins. I wish I could just stay here just like this for eternity. Before Patrick becomes an angel and everything gets twisted up. Centuries will pass and then I will screw up, I murder the best thing that ever happened to me and as I look at Patrick's innocent face I can hardly look him in the eyes with the guilt I feel.

If I save him now does that mean that that entire life goes away? Does Patrick get to live out his human life here without me in it?