-22-

Joes POV:

"We may be able to bring him back. But your not going to like how we have to do it." I look into the eyes of the angel. He told me his name was Josh.

"How?" I ask looking at Patrick's still pale form on the table.

"You need Pete." He sighs and I feel a grimace cross my face.

Pete's POV:

I stop driving when I pull into a gas station. I park in the large parking lot and breath for a moment. I have no clue where I am all I know is the sun is coming up and the rain has stopped. I get out of the car to stretch my legs and I look around. Suddenly I realize I have been here before. Nostalgia punches me in the gut when I think about it.

"Pete come on you can't be serious." Patrick glares at me but has a smile on his lips. I grin back holding up the camera and laughing.

"Come on do it for the homies!" I say laughing and Patrick smiles again rolling his eyes and lets out a huff.

"Fine here's to all the homies who couldn't make it." He laughs and down the cup of garlic butter. I gag myself because it's nasty before turning off the camera.

I feel a tear on my face and I wipe it with the palm of my hand. That was nearly nine years ago now. I lean back against the truck and sigh looking up to the sky watching the stray beams of daylight stretching across the clouds. Something streaks across the sky I rub my eyes and blink a few times but don't see it again. I lower my eyes to the ground and nearly scream when Joe is beside me.

"Holy shit man" I yell out of surprise and he just glares at me his mouth pressed in a thin line.

"Tell me you have them." He says and walks up to the truck not waiting for my answer. He flips open the truck bed cover and sighs in relief before looking at me. "Put gas in the truck and listen to me right now. I trusted you not to turn to the demons to stay strong. I know what happens in there and I know it was months you spent but still-"

"Wait what do you mean months? It was only a few weeks wasn't it?" I ask and Joe looks at me sadly.

"No Pete it was nearly six months you spent in there with Brendon. I guess time felt fast there." Joe sighs and then looks at me. " listen Pete I still don't trust you and I hate you right now. But truth is I need you to come back with me. The only way to bring Patrick back is you."

"Of course I will help. I never wanted to hurt him. I love him Joe." Joe looks at me with a mixture of hatred and pity.

"Let's just go." He jumps in the driver side of the truck and motions me to get in. I close the truck bed and then go to the passenger side. This is going to be a long ride.

~a few hours later~

"So what do you need me to do?" I ask looking at Patrick's still body.

"You need to go find him. Right now he's lost in purgatory and since you are the one who put him there you could potentially bring him back again." The new angel Josh explains. He looks grim about it though.

"What's the catch here?"  I ask looking from Patrick to him. Josh meets my eyes and then looks away.

"First you need to take your wings back, and not turn into a demon. Then if you manage to do that you need to build up enough power to teleport your soul to where Patrick's soul is. Then have enough power to bring both him and yourself back, and all of this need to be done within the next forty-eight hours before Patrick slips into the deeper levels of purgatory. If you can't do it before then his soul will be lost forever."

"Is that all?" I joke, Josh and Joe glare at me and I swallow thickly. "What if I find him and can't bring us both back?" 

"Then you send him back and rot there yourself." Joe growls I swallow thickly.

" thing is he is already on the second level in purgatory he will be re living his entire existence right now slowly building up to the moment he dies. Time works differently there Pete. An hour here can be months or even years in there."

"I understand." I say and then take a step away from Patrick.

"Okay wings first." Josh says and grips my arm leading me to another room.

"What exactly does that include?" I ask and Josh doesn't answer he just grimaces. That has to be a good sign.

We enter a room and my wings sit newly cleaned on a table. There is a table in the middle of the room that looks like some sort of torture machine. I gulp as Josh leads me up to it. I step up onto it going to lay on my back.

"No on your front take off your shirt first." Josh says and I gulp. I take off my shirt and lay on my stomach. My arms are straight out from my body and Josh begins strapping them down. A thick strap goes over the back of my neck and both of my legs. As well as one over my lower back the leather is cold and the room is freezing but my heart is pounding, adrenaline keeping me warm.

"I can't knock you out because it ruins the process, I'm sorry but this is going to hurt a lot." Then Josh comes up to my face and shoves a rag in my mouth I go to spit it out but then realize it's probably for a reason.

I hear a few more people come into the room and a clank of tools. "Okay Pete let me explain what we are going to do and I need you to try your best to stay awake during all of it. So we have to cut into your back and then locate where your wings used to attach and then reattach your wings which will hopefully go easily but sometimes it's like putting a leg back in its socket. It can hurt and grind but if it works then your powers should come back and you should heal almost instantly. Which is good right?"

I grunt and just shut my eyes I try and not focus on them but instead I think of Patrick. All of this is to fix what you did to him I think to myself. I scream when the first cut is made I can feel my own blood dripping down my sides. Another cut is made on the other side. I scratch at the table and think about Patrick. A memory hits me,

The sun is setting the sky an explosion of reds, pinks and purples. The lake below the horizon reflecting the colours back and the mountains on either side turning a variety of beautiful colours. It's amazing the wind is flowing gently around me and the grass in the field around me quivers. "Gorgeous isn't it." I hear some one sigh. I look to my side and see Patrick his hand on his chin cross legged elbow digging into his knee. His wings are behind him the feathers gently being blown.

"Yes it is. I wish we could have more than this." I hear myself say and suddenly become aware of my own wings.

"I know. One day my love in another life." He sighs and leans forward putting his hand centimetres from my own. I brush my fingertips over his and my skin burns. I see a flash of pain on his face but he hold my hands for a few seconds but we let go before the burn becomes too much.

I open my eyes and scream again as I feel them digging in my back churning around the wings in the sockets trying to make them pop back in.

I feel one snap back in quite loudly and I bite hard into the rag as a wave of something seems to buzz in my veins and then the other snaps in and I spit out the rag and scream properly as all the hands retract. I hear the straps being hastily undone and I open my eyes and scream more as my mind feels like it's on fire. The room seems to be glowing in blinding white light.

Then like an explosion going off the entire room crackles with the white energy before plunging into darkness.