The Chip

Sam's POV
Italics=Trigedasleng

"Does it hurt?" Jasper asked, spinning the blue chip between his fingers.

Jaha shook his head. "It takes away pain, it doesn't cause it."

"What if...what if you don't have physical pain and what if it's more...it's more in your head?"

"Pain is pain. Your scars run deep, Jasper. Yours as well, Sam."

"You only get scars once you've healed. Sam probably has, but I haven't."

"And you Sam." Jaha turned to me.

"I don't know, Jaha. What if it hurts the baby?"

"It won't. The baby will be fine."

"I still don't know."

Jasper ignored us and began to bring the chip up to his mouth. Before he could eat it, Abby grabbed his wrist. "Am I interrupting?"

"Not at all." Jaha motioned towards the chairs. "Please, join us."

"May I?" Jasper slowly placed the chip in Abby's hand. "You seem to be working miracles with these. What is it? And I don't want to hear that it's a key. Give me the science."

"It's a silicon-based device. Once ingested, the filaments reconstitute in the brain stem and interrupt pain receptors, inhibiting certain neural pathways from firing."

"Would you mind if I run some trials on it? I just want to make sure that there aren't any side effects. Would you have given it to Wells without testing it first?"

"Wells?" Jaha seemed confused at first. Abby and I looked at each other with the same expression. "Yes. Yes, of course."

"Jasper we need a minute please." Jasper nodded hesitantly before standing up and walking out. I moved to his seat across from Jaha and next to Abby. "I'm shutting you down." Abby grabbed the bag of chips from Jaha.

"That's not necessary. Please, Abby. It's been so long since I've thought of my son."

"That wasn't like you haven't thought of him for a long time." I interrupted. "It was like you completely forgot about him. You're not getting it back until Abby looks at it."

Abby nodded and stood up the same time Jaha did. Jaha got very close to Abby and talked in hushed whispers that I couldn't hear.

After a few seconds, Abby walked away looking pissed while Jaha sat back down across from me.

"So, what about you?" Jaha nodded to my hand, which still subconsciously held the chip.

"Can I ask you a question?" Jaha nodded. "What was your first emotion when Wells was born?"

"Well, I felt a lot of emotions. Happy, excited."

"But there was one emotion that topped all of those. One that you always brought up." Jaha stayed silent like he didn't know the answer. "You always use to say that you felt proud when he was born. That he didn't have to do anything, that him just being there made you feel proud." I slammed my hand down on the table and lifted it off the chip. "I think that answers that question."

Hey guys. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed. Make sure to add this story to your reading list, to vote, and to comment.

Love ya😘
Bye.