Chapter Three

Npov

I once again pulled my hood up and hurried to the marketplace. Bianca was right, palace guards were all over the place, especially around all the food stands.

I swore. How was I supposed to steal food when there are guards every two feet?

I snuck around to the back of the bread stand but froze as everyone around me went silent. I looked up. They were watching a carriage with golden wheels and doors roll in.

I heard someone ask what was going on and was answered with, "It's the king and the prince."

I froze. The king and prince? What were they doing here?

A servant stepped out and helped the king down. The prince got down by himself.

"All citizens of Matahari! There is a thief among you! Do you wish to let him get away with this? Do you wish to let him rob you of your goods and dignity?"

A chorus of people yelling "No!" rang out through the crowd.

"Are we going to catch him or let him roam through the city?"

"CATCH HIM!"

I looked up at the royals again. The prince locked eyes with me. I turned around and saw the entire crowd getting worked up.

I made my way over to the bread stand again and slipped a loaf into my satchel. Then I headed over to the fruit stand. I took a small bunch of grapes and a couple apples.

But I stopped when I felt someone staring at me. I whipped around and scanned the crowd. None of them were watching me. I looked up to the king and found that his son was watching me.

Schist.

I started running in the other direction. The prince saw me steal food and would probably tell his dad.

I made it back to the house and found Bianca waiting for me looking pale. She relaxed when she saw me. "The king was out there- I heard him- Nico he really wants you dead. Maybe I could try to find a job."

"Bianca, they won't let you get a job until you're eighteen here and I obviously can't go out and get one. This is our only option."

She sighed. "Then I'm going out to steal things next time."

"Bianca. We've been over this."

"I don't care. I'm not letting them kill you."

"They won't kill me."

She glared at me in silence for a while. "What did you get?" She asked eventually.

"Bread, grapes, and apples."

"Okay. Bring them in the kitchen."

~ Wpov ~ Twenty minutes ago ~

I looked over the crowd. Did they hate the thief that much? My dad was talking to them but I wasn't listening. Eventually they all yelled, "CATCH HIM!" Except for one boy, who stayed quiet.

I locked eyes with him. He must've thought I was some sort of stuck-up brat. I hoped I wasn't a stuck-up brat...

He looked away and headed towards a bread stand. I watched as he slipped a loaf into a brown satchel and headed over to the fruit stand.

I realised who I was watching and almost laughed. There's so much irony in this situation, I had to take a moment to process it.

I was looking at the thief.

He put a bundle of grapes and a couple of apples in his satchel too before tending and looking around. Then he looked up at me and I raised an eyebrow. He started running away but no one seemed to notice.

I had a slight smile on my face as I watched him run away.

He was good.