The Magic of Stories

If you've ever watched movies or read stories about other worlds, like the Chronicles of Narnia, the Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars (I'm trying to think of ones most people are familiar with, but a few others come to mind as well: Enchantress of the Stars, Maleficent, Harry Potter, the Glitches series by Strawberry_Cream1928), you'll know some of them just feel magical. They leave you with emotions you can not easily describe. My favorite ones leave me with either awe or a kind of deep seriousness, of sometimes both.
The ones that are more awe-inspiring are often more fantastical and adventurous, while the serious ones have more complex plots.
The serious ones can be stories where there is a protagonist observing two sides (not necessarily antagonistic), neither of whom are fully good or fully bad. Other times, the main character will die. They aren't exactly formulaic, though.
Movies have the advantage of vivid imagery and music. Songs and soundtracks can really contribute to the emotions of the observer.
Books have the advantage of detail, more time for character development, and drawn out suspense. Books also have the advantage of the magic of words, words which captivate and draw in the reader. Books also tend to have fewer plot holes and a better developed plot.
Other genres inspire different emotions in me. Historical fiction feels realistic, yet still new and exciting. The excitement balances with the pain the protagonist almost unfailingly experiences, and their final triumph.
What's your favorite genre, and why? What emotions does it inspire in you? What elements of the genre inspire the strongest emotions?