Hatred

Hate is really powerful. So is love. We tend to overuse both words in our daily conversations. We tend to overlook the consequences of that, as well. 

Hate bothers me. I know I have said I hate certain people before, but I always regret it. Knowing I am allowing myself to hate other people is never a pleasant feeling. I have even hated people before. I should not. Hate is never justified. I can be hurt by someone over and over again and still have no right to hate them.  One of my biggest goals in life is to erase all hate from my heart.  I should love everyone, including those who have hurt me, those who hate me, and those who seem to have done so much damage they can not be loved. 

As our culture tends to have certain figures esteemed and loved by all, so it also tends to have certain figures hated and despised by all. 

I don't know how I feel about that. Is hate any better if directed against someone who seems to deserve it more? 

I may not esteem or support 'certain figures,' but I want to be careful not to hate them any more than I hate myself or those around me whom I love. I fully support disagreeing with and despising certain arguments supported by these 'certain figures,' but I see no good coming from hatred. 

I know how few people in this country share my opinion, yet I know I am not alone.

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

-Matthew 5:21-22

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

-Matthew 5:38-39

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

-Matthew 5:43-48

As a Christian, I am instructed to love. I know I fail, but I must always try to follow these commandments. I am instructed to love my enemies, to pray for those who persecute me, to love those who would take my life. (Hopefully I haven't given anyone cause to want to.) 

This is the season of Lent. During Lent, Christians remember the forty days Jesus spent in the desert fasting before the devil tempted him. Lent begins with Ash Wednesday, when we remember our mortality: From dust we are taken, and to dust we shall return. Lent is spent contemplating our sinfulness and lack of perfection, our failure to live up to God's standards. 

Part of that is knowing we are not any better than our neighbors. Sin is sin, according to the Bible, according to God. 

Does that give us any reason to hold a grudge, to hate our neighbors? 

Because I follow Christ, I have even less reason to hate. I have every reason to love instead. 

Love heals. Hate destroys. I need to be more loving.