Chapter 23

Amanda's POV

Brian woke me up early the next day, okay 11 am but I thought it was early. We would go to his dads place today and eat lunch. I was pretty nervous about it actually, this was the first time I met his dad. Later that night would I play at a bar here in Huntington. 

I washed my hair only without taking a shower because I didn't have time for that. It would take me too long to wash my whole body without making the bandage over my chest wet. I then got dressed in black skinny jeans and a grey shirt. I did my hair and make-up and then walked downstairs. 

Brian was waiting at the door. "Finally", he said and took his car keys from the little table next to the door. 

"So who will I be meeting today?" I asked when we sat in the car.

"Dad, his wife Suzy and my sister McKenna", he said.

"What's your dad's name?" 

"Brian."

"Your name is Brian", I said. 

"His too." 

"So your name is Brian Haner Jr?" I asked.

"Uhm yeah", he said. 

"That's so cute!" I said. 

"How can that be cute?" he chuckled.

"It just is. But what am I supposed to call your dad then? I can't call both of you Brian."

"He will probably tell you to call him Papa Gates."

"Papa Gates? Okay. Do they know about my heart problems by the way?"

"No I haven't told them. Did you want me to?" he asked.

"No, not until I get to know them a little better", I said. 

We arrived to the house. We got out of the car and started slowly to make our way up to the house. I took Brian's hand before he opened the door to the house. "Dad! We're here!" he shouted.

"Brian!" a man voice said and soon walked that man down the stairs. 

It was very obvious that it was Brian's dad, they looked very much like each other. 

"Hi dad", Brian said and hugged his dad. 

"How are you son?" his dad asked. 

"Uhm I'm good", Brian said. 

He lied. He wasn't good. He wasn't even okay. I knew that he did all he could not to show how worried he was all the time about me but I knew him to well. 

It was the thing I hated most about this whole disease, that it made Brian so sad. This would be much more difficult for him than for me. He would be the one who had to live after I'm gone, and I knew how much that did hurt. And I never wanted him to feel that. 

"Hi, I'm Brian but you can call me Papa Gates", his dad said to me. 

Brian gave me a "I told you so"-look and grinned. 

"I'm Amanda", I said and smiled. "It's nice to meet you." 

"It's very nice to meet you too Amanda. Brian had told us much about you", Papa Gates said. 

"Where is Suzy and Mac?" Brian asked.

"Here!" a girl with very purple hair said.

"Amanda that's my sister McKenna and that's Suzy", Brian said.

"Hi", I said. 

"Hello", Suzy said. "Come on now, lunch is ready." 

We walked to a big kitchen and sat down around a table. I sat next to Brian and Suzy. "So, Amanda, you're a musician too right?" Papa Gates asked me.