Complete silence filled the room, so thick it almost tempted you to say something. But you kept quiet and headed for the door, a bag hanging on your back.

"Where are you going? And what do you mean we're done?" Aro's confused, almost child-like tone hit you, stopping you in your tracks.

You bit your lip and without turning back, said, "It means we're over. Breaking up. Goodbye, Aro."

MARCUS VOLTURI:

A gasp, followed by a sucked breath, woke you up from your slumber. You jolted up, searching your surroundings for the noise. What was it?

"It's only me, Y/N. Relax." The voice you recognize as Marcus calmed you down. Soft hands pushed you back onto the bed.

"Oh. How come you were surprised?" You gave him a crooked smile. "Was it my attractiveness?"

"Yes, actually." He smiled.

"Really?" You were about to beam but was cut off by his sentence.

"For a second, you looked like Didyme."

You buried and locked up the disappointment into a place where no one could reach it. But you wondered: was Marcus ever going to let go of his past wife?

♚♚♚

You picked up a book, ruffled through it, and put it back on the shelf.

"You remind me of Didyme." Marcus stared at you. "She always did that."

You bit your lip. Marcus kept telling you this and it seemed like he was comparing you to someone you could never be. You weren't his past wife; you were another person.

"Marcus, we should break up." Your voice was barely above a whisper.

"No; why?" His panicked tone made you close your eyes and sigh.

"You're comparing Didyme and me, and I can't be her. Your heart belongs to her, not me. Goodbye, Marcus. It's for the best."

CAIUS VOLTURI:

You were enjoying the company of Demetri and Felix. Everyone was laughing and making jokes. Caius was absent, as usual, because of his endless meetings and work. You understood, of course, but you had to fill your free time with something. Caius was usually missing when you came home, but you didn't care. You were used to it.

Everything was going well until out of the corner of your eye, you spotted a lone Volturi guard watching you. He thought he was being secretive but Caius taught you how to be aware of prying eyes.

"Demetri. Felix." You let out a fake laugh, alerting them to danger. "Someone's watching us."

Demetri threw his head back and chuckled, searching for them in his peripheral vision. "Where?"

"To your left. Right behind Felix."

Felix leaned back in his chair, his posture relaxed, not alerting the guard. "Should I . . ?"

"Not yet." You took another sip of your drink. "I want to see what he does."

For another minute, the three of you observed the guard. He sat there, reading his newspaper—or pretending to.

"He's not doing anything," Demetri said.

"I know." Your eyes flickered to the guard one too many times and he caught your gaze. His eyes widened as he realized you, Demetri, and Felix were staring at him.

"Now, Felix."

Upon your command, Felix bolted out of his chair and charged toward the guard, you and Demetri walking behind him. Felix grasped the guard's neck, only stopped by your voice. "We need to find out what he's here for."