Chapter 40: An Epilogue's Prologue

Maybe I wasn't normal after all.

Maybe we were meant to meet.

Maybe we weren't.

But I am sure about one thing, I don't regret meeting you that day. A complete little circumstance that brought me to you. Maybe if I woke up a bit later than I did, I would've never saw you sitting on that bench, looking as if the world was yours, even if you never wanted it in the first place. Though I am done with maybes, it makes my heart go crazy to think that in one point of our lives, there would've been a small circumstance whereas it lead us to not meeting each other.

You made me remember the things I have forgotten a long time ago. It wasn't reopening scars that healed through time, but rather you unlocked treasures buried within the deep abyss of my memories.

You showed me the side of the world that meant a lot to you. You showed me L, you showed me, Kira. You were the one to show me a sight I have never seen before. I'm
sure that within those moments, I fell in love with you. The way you show me your other side, the way your mouth twitched as if you were preventing yourself to smile, the way you analyzed a situation as calm as possible.

You are unique. A prodigy. It honors me to be able to break your facade. Maybe as we grow up, you'll grow tired of me, you'll abandon me. But know this, you're the one who made flying come true. Whenever I'm with you, it'd always feel like I'm floating under the thick layers of the night sky, covered with shimmering stars and glowing sights. For some reason, your eyes would always remind me of a cloudy day that is preparing for a warm, sunny day. They are gloomy at first, but whenever your eyes meet mine, they light up as if the sun's rays reached through them.

Your hair, as white as snow, innocent and untainted. They still remind me of clouds. Since when did you become a physical embodiment of the sky, Near?

Nate River. You dummy. Look at how I fell for you!

I felt his familiar soft, cold lips touch mine. His hands trapped me in between them, with no complaints, I hugged him back tightly. I was afraid that he'd disappear from my arms, I was afraid that in the end, all of this was only a dream and I would wake up, no Nate River beside me, no Kira, no shinigami. My family would still be there.

Maybe it would be nice to go back and time to be with my family again. But I already accepted this. I know that they wouldn't want me stuck in the time where they were alive. I have already learned to accept and let go, one of the hardest stages in death and grief. Near made all of this possible, he became my savior.

Dammit, I'm lovestruck.

Haha, it's me from the future. This brings tears to my eyes, in all the bad kind of ways.