Chapter 24: This Has Just Been So Hard

~~ Abigail's POV ~~ 

Today was the day where we got the DNA tests and we wait dreadfully for the results. Usually, they take days but since this case has been long overdue, we have requested to know today. 

I felt bad, for not telling Austin that Shayley is my biological father. On one hand, I didn't know how to tell him, he's in such a fragile state that I am afraid of how he will take the news. And on the other hand, I felt like it didn't need to come from me. It needed to come from Shayley himself. 

We sat opposite sides of each other at the hospital. Alan and Aaron took a day to look around, it was mostly Jake's idea because he knew they, mostly Alan, were gonna be extremely bored waiting around. Which is true. Thankfully, I had brought a book with to read. But I keep thinking to myself that it'd be rude for me to read when Shayley is right in front of me. 

Soon a nurse came in and began drawing blood from my arm, I cringed as soon as the needle went in. 

After my blood was drawn and they took Shayley's as well, we sat. We sat and waited. 

"How long is this going to take?" I asked Jake who was sitting next to me reading a magazine. 

"I don't know, honestly." 

"Can't they call you when it's ready?" 

Jake sighed, "I guess you're right." He looked over to Shayley, "I'll call you once we get the results, no reason to wait for so long when we could be doing other stuff." 

Shayley nods, "Alright, well, you have my number..." he looked over to me, "I'll see you soon then." He then walked out of the room. 

"I'll go inform a nurse," Jake said leaving a different way that Shayley did. 

Without thinking, I got up from my seat and ran out the door, "wait," I said catching Shayley's attention. He had just walked outside. 

He stopped walking and turned around, "Everything okay?" 

"Why haven't you said her name?" He looked at me confused, "You always mention her as 'my mother' but never do you say her name." He took in a deep breath as he runs his fingers through his hair. "I asked you at the restaurant but you never answered. I thought maybe you didn't hear me." 

"I heard you," he silently said as he began to kick the ground slightly with his feet. Something a little kid does when they're in trouble and they don't want to look their parents in the eyes. I used to do it all the time. 

"Then why didn't you answer me?" 

"Because it's hard," he choked out. "Saying 'your mother' is like thinking of her as a different person because I didn't get to know her much as your mother. I knew her as..." he let out a shaky breath as he cringed at the words that were about to come out of his mouth, "I knew her as Maria. Maria Rodriguez." His voice shook when he said her name. "That's why." 

"Do you miss her?" I think I've asked this before but I needed to hear it again. 

"Everyday since I left and everyday I regret not going back to her and begging her to give us a chance." Tears surfaced. I hit that point of no return. 

"I wish I got to know her more," I said, "I want to know my mom more and I feel like you can give that to me." 

"What are you trying to say?" 

"Tell me more about my mother. I don't want to just know her favorite ice cream flavor or that she spoke Spanish fluently. I want to know her." 

"Alright, what do you want to know."