Chapter 8: Say Anything That Can Make This Okay..

Title Credit/Video On Top: Another You by Of Mice & Men 

~Abigail's POV~ 

"I still can't believe it." I say as I get into the passenger seat.

"Well believe it, princess!" Austin smiles as he turns on the car,"I hope you like buffets!" he says as he starts to drive.

"More like love! Oh can I call Caroline and tell her the news?" I ask

"Of course! Ask her to come and eat with us, her parents and family included!" Austin and Caroline's parents are now friends, over the weeks I've been out of the hospital I spent most of the day at Austin's. Sometimes we'd have barbecues and Caroline's family would come over and swim. It's just so surreal to believe that now I can stay day and night at his house... my house as well. I'm his daughter now.

Wow is this barely hitting me? I dial Caroline's number into Austin's phone, I had to use Austin's because I no longer have a phone, I lost it when I got my bag stolen when I ran away, "Hello?" I hear Caroline's mother answer. She sounded like she was asleep.

"Hello, Mrs. Addison? It's me Abigail. Is Caroline there?"

"Oh hello, Abigail! How was your court date? All good news I hope!" I hear her smile through the phone but she was avoiding my question.

"Yeah that's actually why I called, I was hoping you guys would like to come and celebrate with us at Golden Corral." I smile a bit

I hear her sigh, "Oh sweetheart, I wish we could but um.. Caroline had an episode today."

I sit straight in the seat of the car, Austin could tell something happened because he right away pulled over and stopped the car on the side of the freeway, "Is she okay?" It started to become difficult to breathe.

"She's intubated... It was pretty bad, Abigail. One lung collapsed and the other had fluid." her voice was shaky.

"But I thought she was getting better, I mean like she was going to start remission in two weeks... "

"We know... Now the doctor says it's her lungs... She may have to have an oxygen tank... She's in the ICU and still hasn't woken up."

"When did it happen?" I ask as I wipe away the tears that rebelled against my wishes.

"Early this morning, I was going to call you but I didn't know when you were going to be in court so I decided to wait and hope you call.. I am sorry, Abigail."

"No no... I should be the one saying I'm sorry.. Can I go see her?" I ask

"We aren't supposed to have any visitors.. But I'll sneak you in. Call me when you are here, sweetheart."

"Thank you." I hang up, I look over to Austin who is staring at me.

"What happened?" He asks with concern.

"Caroline is in the hospital.. Umm" I swallow back the tears, "One lung collapsed while the other was drowning with fluid." I look down as a tear falls, "Can we go see her?"

He places his hand under my chin as he lifts my head so I am looking at him, "Of course we can see her." He wipes my tears with his thumbs, "St. Jude's right?" I nod as he faces forward and turns the car back on, "Text Alan and tell him that we will be an hour late."

"and if he asks why?" I ask as I unlock Austin's phone.

"Tell him we'll explain later."

I sigh and nod as I text Alan.

'Gonna be a little late, don't wait up for us.'

'how long? *kitty emoji*'

'an hour probably. *kitty emoji*'

':) Okay.'

We arrive to the hospital, I right away call Mrs. Addison and tell her that we were in the hallway. She snuck us in.

"She's in here." Mrs. Addison whispered.

Me and Austin followed her into a room, I sighed at the sight of my best friend with tubes down her throat and wires keeping her alive. I felt Austin rubbing my back.

I hug Mrs. Addison, "I'm sorry.." I whisper.

She silently sobs, "She's going to make it. I know it. She's a fighter." she says as she looks over at Caroline.

I smile, "Yeah she is."

"Would you like some time alone with her?" She asks

I nod; Austin and her leave the room. Leaving me with a deafening silence. I sigh and make my way towards her bed, I grab a hold of her cold hand, lack of oxygen.

"So now I know what it feels like. Now I know why you were angry with me for two days after I woke up." the silence was killing me, I imagined her replying with Well fuck yeah you scared the living shit out of me! But I am glad you are alive.

"So as you know... and I hope you are listening because you know how I feel about repeating myself. Buuutttt! It went good in court, the judge wanted to talk to me alone in his office. At first I was like, Oh no! This man is a rapist! but he just wanted to basically know my opinion on Austin, which then I ended up having this deep conversation.." I told her everything that happened inside the office, I looked over at the clock and realize it's been forty-five minutes.

I sigh, "I have to go now... I hope you heard all that. If not then we will have a girls night, most likely here in the hospital but a girls night so I can tell you everything again... This time you will be talking and we would probably be laughing. You're a fighter, Caroline." I hug her gently and kiss her forehead. I leave the room but look inside one last time before making my way to Austin.

"Thank you again, Mrs. Addison." I hug her

She smiles, "It's no problem, Abigail. I will call you when she wakes up."

"Thank you." Austin smiles, "Ready to go?"

I nod and we leave to Golden Corral. We arrive fifteen minutes later, I sigh and began to sob. Austin turns off the car and walks over to my side, he opens the door and engulfs me with a hug, "She will be okay." He says as he kisses the top of my head.

"I am so afraid of losing her. She's my only best friend." I wipe away my tears, "I shouldn't be sad right now, I should be happy that I am getting adopted and I am happy."

"It's okay to feel." He wipes away a few more tears, "It's normal to feel."

I nod, "Thank you, Austin." I hug him

"Call me dad, baby girl." He says as he hugs me back.

"It's gonna take me some time but I will try." He nods understanding, "But umm.. can you not call me baby girl?"

"Why not?"

"I just don't like it."

He smiles at me, "Okay what about... my little girl? Princess? Kitty?"

"Those nicknames are okay." I smile back

"Alright! Ready to go inside, Princess?" I nod, he turns around and bends down. I haven't had a piggy back ride in ages.

"What if I'm too heavy?"

"You're not trust me!" I sigh in defeat and get on his back. I close the door and we walk into the buffet. Austin rented out the place so it would only be the people he invited, bands and their wives and girlfriends or husbands or boyfriends. They were all here. It seemed like my iPod exploded and all the bands I listened to landed on the ground right in front of me.

"There they are!" Andy yells as we enter the restaurant.

Alan bows down as I get off Austin's back, "M'lady."

I smile at his silliness, he hugs me after that everyone else in the restaurant hugs me. I felt so welcomed and loved by people that didn't even know me. It is just a great feeling to be here. The only thing that is holding me back to being fully happy is my past. Something he doesn't know.