Chapter 20: I Will Survive, I Am Relentless

Title Credit: Relentless by Of Mice & Men 

~ Abigail's POV ~ 

"I called Pamela as well and asked her to bring you some clothes," Alan says as he sits down next to me, "I told her where the hidden key is." 

I nod, "What did Jake say?" Millions of situations flooded my mind, that Austin wouldn't be able to adopt me due to his condition to everything might just be okay. I tried my hardest to stay with the positive. 

"He'll be here in the morning," Alan looks at me and smiles, "It's gonna be okay." 

"What if we have to go through the whole court stuff again because Jake doesn't think Austin is a perfect fit as a parent?" 

"Weren't you the one that said that no parent is perfect? Or something along those words?" I nod, "then you shouldn't worry." 

~ Morning ~  

~~ Austin's POV ~~ 

Alan and Jake walk into my room, "How are you feeling?" Jake asks. 

I feel like shit to be honest, "Better," I say, "So how is this gonna affect the adoption process?" I ask. 

I'm honestly scared of losing Abigail because of my condition and I don't want that to happen. 

"It's not," Jake says. 

"It's not?" I feel like a thousand bricks just got lifted off me. 

"Look, Abigail has a lot of people she can depend on while you are in the hospital. You aren't in this parenting thing alone and last night proved it. Last night showed who can be called in a time of trouble and who is willing to help and you have a lot of people willing to help. So, it's not gonna affect the whole adoption process but the judge has decided that he would like Abigail to begin public school." 

"Why? She doesn't get along with other kids her age," I don't like this sudden decision. 

"He would like for her to at least try it. So she can have some friends she can talk to especially in times like these. Just humor him and have her try it for a week," Jake says 

I nod, "alright," I say, "What about the meeting with her biological father?" 

"We'd have to cancel," Jake says 

I sigh to myself, "I'd go with her," Alan blurts out, "Unless I can't because Austin has to be there." 

Jake looks over at me, "Is it fine with you? I mean I can go with them" 

I look at Alan, "You sure you want to do this? It's gonna be an emotional ride," I say. 

Alan nods, "I can do this, she's family, Austin. I want to do this for her and for you. I want you guys to finally get this adoption process finally over with. Do you really want to postpone it again?" 

I shake my head, "No, I don't," I smile at Alan, "Thanks, Man. I really appreciate you doing this." 

"Then it's settled. Tomorrow we will be leaving, I will get you an airplane ticket and let you know about the details. Now I am gonna go. Austin, you take care of yourself alright?" 

I nod, "can you tell Abigail to come over here?" He nods and leaves the room. 

Alan sighs, "So, how are you really feeling?"