Chapter 23: Don't Ruin A Perfect Thing

Title Credit: The Boy Who Could Fly by Pierce The Veil 

~~ Abigail's POV ~~ 

"So," Shayley said as he finished his meal, "I'd like to take my daughter out, alone, tomorrow so I can get to know her," he looks over to Jake for confirmation. 

"I don't think that's a good idea," Alan says as he glares over to Shayley. 

Jake shoots Alan a look then smiles at Shayley, "You can pick her up at 10, you know where we are staying at," Shayley nods, "We should be going now," Jake stands up and so do the rest of us. 

Shayley looks at me, "I'll see you tomorrow," he says as he gives me a small hug, he lets go and nods to Alan and Aaron who didn't acknowledge him. Alan grabs my hands and walks me outside. 

Aaron walks out and flags a cab, "I can't believe it," Aaron whispers as he opens the cab door for me. 

"I know," Alan says as he sits down next to me. Jake comes walking out and sits in the front, he sighs. 

~~ 

I was woken up by someone shaking me, "Abby," I heard Alan whisper, "time to get up," he said as I rubbed my eyes

I got up and grabbed some clothes, "I'm gonna shower," I said to Alan who just nodded and left the room. 

I walked into the bathroom locking it behind me. 

After my shower, I got dressed and dried my hair. I walked out of the bathroom just as someone knocked on the door. 

I opened it to see Shayley there, he smiled at me, "The guys told me you were here getting ready." 

"I'm almost done, I just need to put my shoes on." 

He nodded, "I'll be in the lobby," I watched as he walked away. 

Is this really true? I sighed to myself as I sat on the bed and put my shoes on. 

I grabbed my phone and dialed Austin's number, it rang a few times, "Hello?" A girl's voice said. 

"Um, is Austin there?" I asked 

"Oh, no, he's a bit busy right now," I knew it was Pamela. 

I sighed to myself, "Well, can you tell him that Abigail called? That I'll call back later?" 

"Of course," She said, I thanked her and hung up. Maybe Pamela answering the phone was a good thing? Maybe it was a sign telling me that I shouldn't tell Austin that his former band-mate is my biological father and I will be spending the whole day with him... Maybe. 

~~ 

We walked down Central park, the ride from the hotel was awfully quiet. Shayley spoke to the cab driver mainly because the cab driver started a conversation about the weather and it somehow led to other things, I had dozed off during their conversation so I didn't get to hear most of it. 

I've always wanted to come here to Central Park, though. We just stared at the trail in front of us as we walked beside each other. 

"So, how's Austin treating you?" Shayley asked, cutting the silence. 

"Good," I said, "Great actually. I feel like I've been his family for so long." I sighed, "We just want it to be official already." 

"That's good," He said quietly. His hands were in his pockets, it felt like he was closing himself off, but it's hypocritical of me to say that because I too had my hands in my pockets and I know I am closing myself from him. We both know the two ways this day could end. The two ways this day would make things end. But I want to know what way he was hoping it would end because I know for sure it's different than mine. I just wanted to be one hundred percent sure instead of ninety-five percent.