Chapter 10: If Your Wings Are Broken,

Title Credit: Stand By You by Rachel Platten

~Abigail's POV~ 

It's been amazing month living in my new home with my new family, I haven't talked to Caroline or her parents since they told me she was in the hospital. I honestly feel like a horrible friend for not checking up on her on her time of need. 

"Hey, sweetie," Austin says walking into the kitchen. He kisses my head and makes his way towards the pans on the stove. I eat my food on the counter, "You're awfully quiet." He says as he begins to make himself some pancakes.

"Eating." I say as I use my fork to pull apart my pancake. 

"More like playing with your food." He places his plate next to mine. 

I shrug, He sits next to me, "What's wrong?" He asks with concern in his voice. 

"Nothings wrong." I smile at him, "Why would you think that something is wrong?" 

"Well because-" 

"Good morning my lovely people!" Alan says as he walks into the house. 

"Good morning!" I get off the stool and hug Alan. I sigh in relief that he walked in on time to stop the deep conversation that Austin was about to start. 

"Hey, Austin can I talk to you alone for a minute?" Alan asks as he looks at me then at Austin

"I'll be in my room!" I say as I  begin to walk upstairs. 

"Our conversation is not over, Abigail! I will continue it later!" Austin says as I close my bedroom door. 

~Few minutes later~ 

~Austin's POV~ 

"I can't believe this," I say as I sigh to myself. 

"I know," Alan says as he sits on the couch. 

"How.. How did you find this out?" 

"Well they tried looking for you and well since you changed homes and phone number when you adopted Abigail they couldn't find you. But I saw them at the store today and well... They told me so I could give you the message." 

I look at the floor, "How am I supposed to tell Abigail?" 

"You tell her how you would want someone to tell you. You put yourself in her shoes." I nod, "But you need to tell her today. This situation can't wait any longer. I'll even be here when you talk to her." 

"Thank you." I look at Alan and he smiles, "I'm going to tell her right now." 

"Do you want me here?" 

"Yes. You know more about the situation at the moment than I do." I take a deep breathe and sigh, "Abigail, can you come down here?!" 

~Abigail's POV~ 

"Look Austin I am totally fine-" I begin to say as I walk downstairs

"You need to sit down." He says cutting me off. 

I look at him and Alans facial expressions. They were serious, I suddenly began to think of every wrong thing I have done in the past month. 

"What's going on?" I ask as I sit down on the couch. 

"I don't know how to tell you this." Austin begins, "It's Caroline." 

"Caroline! I've been meaning to call her but I just got so busy, with being in a new home and family. Don't get me wrong I love it here and I love you guys-" 

"Abigail... She's dying." Austin says 

I stop talking and stare at him, "What?" 

"I saw her parents at the supermarket today and um.. they told me that the cancer has spread to her whole body and there wasn't much for the doctors to do to her." Alan says 

"How long?" I ask 

"How long what?" Austin looks at me with a sincere look

"How long does she have? I need to see her. Oh my god I haven't called her or anything! And she's dying! How could I be so selfish?!" 

Austin hugs me, "You are not selfish okay?" 

"I need to see her." I say to him and he nods. 

"I'll call her parents." Alan says getting up. 

She's dying... My best friend is dying. The only person I truly have left from my past, the person that has been there for me through thick and thin and I couldn't be there for her on her last months.