Chapter Forty Seven

The plane ride was eerily quiet. And I mean eerily quiet. I felt like I should say something to Noah, like ask him how he arranged all this or thank him once again but I didn't know how to formulate the words so I just kept quiet all through, staring out the window, watching the clouds pass and the scenery beneath. I would have loved everything, found this experience incredibly exciting and beautiful. But within me, all I could do was dread whatever awaited me at the end of this journey.

Noah, bless him, didn't say anything to me either. He just quietly checked his phone once we were cleared to and once in a while, I felt the heat of his concerned gaze on me. He had lost a parent much closer to him than Darryl had been to me; he knew exactly how I felt and worse.

I did nothing but stare out that window, huddled up in my seat, deep in thought until I didn't know what to think anymore. Whenever Georgina came to check if I needed a snack, some juice or a blanket, I sent her away. I thought of Darryl countless times and the pain in my chest grew with each passing second. I wished I could fall asleep but my overactive mind wouldn't let me.

Finally after what seemed like an endless agonizing journey though it had just been two hours, we landed in Tribune, Kansas. I don't know how Noah arranged it but there was another car waiting for us immediately we touched down.

While Noah was having a quick word with the pilot, I got into the dark Kia Picanto car and hastily gave the driver the name and address of the hospital they were at; St. Claude's General Hospital. He gave me a kind smile and told me that Noah had already informed him previously, and the directions had been fed into his GPS.

Noah joined us shortly and then the last leg of the journey began; the drive to the hospital.

I felt like I had been doing a good job of getting my nerves under control, but as we got closer and closer to our destination, my teeth began to chatter and my hands began to tremble uncontrollably. I was filled with a dark tension, the apprehension coiling around me so tightly, I could not break it. Dark thoughts swirled in my head. Nothing could have prepared me for this. I woke up today thinking it would be as normal as any other day.

But I was wrong.

Oh boy was I wrong.

I didn't realize how bad I was freaking out, until Noah's hand came out of nowhere to settle on mine. He squeezed my quaking fingers reassuringly. I turned to look up at him then. It was the first contact we had had in over two months. It felt familiar.

It felt safe.

"Ellenore, relax. You just have to believe everything's going to be okay", Noah looked at me with those eyes the colour of liquid hazel and I immediately wanted to melt into him. His words filled me with a renewed gust of strength and hope I never thought I could have at this point.

I nodded as I tried to decipher my feelings. How could he do all this for me after everything? After the way I had ended things with him? He didn't have to be here right now, he didn't have to bring me down here but yet he had done all of that and more.

And I wasn't going to lie to myself, I was glad he was here with me.

We got to the hospital sooner than I expected. I had been dreading the moment but here it was. I had to be brave for my dad's sake.

We rushed into St, Claude's General hospital and the sterile smell of bleach and antiseptic hit me like a brick wall. Goosebumps prickled all over my skin as an unsettling feeling washed over me.

It smelled like my very worst fears come to life.

We got to the waiting room and while I stood there, looking around and looking frantic, Noah pulled me up to the front desk where the medical receptionist, dressed in blue scrubs, was fielding calls.