Chapter Thirty

"If your people can fax the proposals to my assistants before next week, I believe we have the beginnings of a spectacular business plan", Mr Stinson said to the Southern investors as they all stood up to shake hands, signifying the end of the umpteenth business meeting I had sat through today. I quickly looked up from where I sat, legs crossed and taking notes. I stood up to usher them out of the conference room, exchanging email addresses with their assistants and then bidding them goodbye.

It was finally the day of the gala. My day thus far had been crazy busy with the entire morning filled with non-stop meetings with Mr Stinson. The arrangement was that I would accompany and assist him today, while Elena would take over tomorrow.

I don't know why I had initially thought it would be a piece of cake, but now with my feet threatening to fall off from all the pre-meeting set up, and my fingers almost numb from all the note taking... I could really use a break. Who knew Mr Stinson had so many contacts in Aspen? And who all apparently had a lot to say. Mr Stinson didn't even look frazzled, but I could tell by the look in his eyes, that he also wished it would all be over.

It was 5 pm and all the meetings we had for the day were done with and concluded. Mr Stinson sent me off for some much needed rest and relaxation before I had to get ready for the gala. I suspected he needed it just as much as I did.

So with three hours to spare before the gala begun, I made my way up to my room and ordered room service. The first hour was spent wrapped up in the sheets of my bed, feasting on chocolate covered strawberries and watching Netflix reruns.

Do not judge, I deserved every cent I ran up on the company's bill.

The second hour was spent napping in an almost coma-like state. I needed my alarm just to wake me up so I could go shower and get ready for the gala. I got back from the luxuriously steaming shower, freshly clean and freshly shaven in my white shower robe, staring down at the red dress I had laid out on my bed and wondering what to do with my hair.

With a slightly excited feeling in my chest, I took off my robe and got down to the business at hand... glamorizing myself up. Twenty or so minutes later, I put down the curling iron my mother had packed into my suitcase and stood up from the dressing table to inspect my reflection in the full sized mirror.

Gosh darn, I looked good. And I felt great, like the proverbial lady in red. My ankle strap sandals, my lipstick and my dress were all the same shade of red but it wasn't too much, I looked just right and I mentally patted myself on the back. Who knew I could actually turn out this good when I put in the right amount of effort?

I grabbed my purse and was about heading out of the room when I heard a not so subtle rapping on my door.

"Ellie! Are you done yet? We don't have all day, you know!" came Elena's voice through the other side of the door.

I pulled the door open slightly irritated and stopped Elena mid-knock.

She just gaped at me, staring at me like I had two heads.

I gave her a look before she snapped back to life.

"Ahh", she cleared her throat "Wow, you look really... uh really good Ellie"

She sounded like it kind of hurt her deeply to say those words out loud but I really appreciated her honest compliment and smiled widely at her.

"Thanks, Elena. Not as good as you do, though", I gushed at her. She looked stunning in a black, sleeveless, curve hugging number, with a sparkly bodice and glittering jewellery. She looked like a million bucks.