Chapter nine

It was 7:58 pm. I scrutinized my appearance in the mirror for the umpteenth time, my hand shaky as I smoothed down the new black curve hugging mini dress Maya had made me get. I had called her immediately after Noah had left me, informing her of the tickets to see the Invaders. Maya had shrieked so loudly into my ear, I had nearly gone deaf. The conversation that followed was like this:

"Now this is definitely a date", Maya said

"It's not, Maya. It's just his way of apologizing"

"Apologizing my ass. That boy wants you and he wants you bad enough to go get you tickets to see the Invaders which were sold out and which must have cost him a whole lot of energy and big bucks to get"

I was quiet for a while, pondering. "Well it's not a date, he said to invite you"

"Well thank your stars they are your favourite band not mine 'cause I'm sure as hell ain't coming", Maya said in that brutally honest way of hers. She made me laugh loudly and Elena shot me some dirty looks.

"Be honest with yourself, Ells. Do you want me to come?"

"No", I admitted quietly

"Well that's a step in the right direction", I could hear the smile in her voice "Besides Ben's leaving soon and I'd like to use the time we have and give him something to remember me by, if you know what I mean"

"TMI, Maya!" I gagged into my phone

She chuckled. "Oh hold up, I can't believe I didn't ask this sooner. Do you have something hot to wear?"

I paused, thinking about my wardrobe choices. "Err..."

"Shit. I knew it"

"I could always wear the yellow dress, it looked good on me"

"Girl, don't make me come over to your office and whoop your behind. Noah has already seen you in that. Get your credit card ready, once you're done with work we're going shopping"

True to her word, she had taken time off from her precious Ben and taken me to Bergdorf's where we had found this simple dress that was hugged me in all the right places and yet didn't make it look like I was trying too hard.

8:00. I glossed my lips over with a minty pink strawberry flavoured gloss and I was ready. I sat down on my bed and like clockwork, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Noah.

You ready, sunshine?

I am. Don't call me sunshine. :I

Whatever you say, sunshine . I'm parked downstairs

I walked over to my window and peered out and true to his word, he was parked across the street. I don't know if he saw me looking but my phone buzzed again.

Didn't want to disturb your folks, it explained

My folks think you're the next best thing after pancakes. But I was glad he didn't come in, my folks would have made a big fuss over nothing.

Well, am I not? ;)

Better rein that ego back in, mister. I'll be right down.

I made my way downstairs, informed my mom cryptically that I was going 'out' and quickly walked out the front door before she had time to grill me. I knew she wouldn't be worried though, I had never given her cause to worry. Even in high school when my peers were going to every party, getting drunk and wasted off crystal meth, I had been home with her, studying or doing something productive, something that I knew would be good for me. I didn't know if going out with Noah tonight would be good for me or not, but I sure wanted to find out.