Chapter Forty

Unknown number: Wondering where your fantasy boyfriend is ;)? Xoxo- Shannon.

I stared at the text over and over again... hoping that it was a silly joke. That Noah was playing a prank on me. Probably for a new edition of Punk'd. Hoping that it wasn't real. But it was.

It was all too real and it was glaring at me.

Maya had her arm around me, comforting me. She expected me to break down. I expected myself to breakdown. But nothing came; I was just this impassive stone wall, devoid of emotion as I stared down coldly at my phone.

"This may not be what it seems", Maya started "He might just be meeting up with her as a friendly gesture. They were together for a long time"

"Then why would he lie about it?" I replied in a soft whisper, barely able to get the words out from my clogged throat.

Maya shook her head. "That's sketchy. I don't know, Ells. I'm sorry"

"I can't believe this", I ran my hand tiredly over my face

"What are you going to do?" Maya inquired, rubbing my shoulder.

"I need to find out what she's up to", I replied, opening up my phone again.

I quickly typed out a text to reply the unknown number.

Me: What's the meaning of this?

My phone dinged a second later.

Unknown number: What does it look like? Noah prefers to spend his birthday with his REAL girlfriend. ;)

Me: Stop playing these games, Shannon. I'm tired of them.

Ding.

Unknown number: You'll never believe me, would you? I do wonder what Noah did to you to have you follow him around so blindly.

Ding.

Unknown number: Oh, I know! You slept with him, didn't you? ;)

Ding.

Unknown number: You did! Oh you silly little girl. No wonder he's tired of you already. Next time, make it a little harder to get okay. ;)

Waves of anger rolled off me in fumes. My eyes burned and I gritted my teeth as I typed a reply to her. I could feel Maya rubbing my back sympathetically, as she read the degrading text messages along with me.

Me: You're a psychopath and a liar, Shannon and I will not stoop so low as to reply you anymore. Goodnight.

Unknown number: LOL. You my friend need a reality check. If you still doubt me, come find us. We're at 144 Westbrook Avenue, this posh restaurant Noah loves. I'll be expecting you. Xoxo bitch.

I knew that address. It was the address of Noah's brother- Nate's restaurant. Dread began to creep up on me. What if Shannon was right? What if everything I had thought was real was all a lie? Would I be able to handle it? I loved Noah. He loved me. I was sure of it. It had to be... it had to be just a misunderstanding. Noah had to have a reasonable explanation for this. And Shannon was milking the scenario to her advantage. I shook my head and stood up.

Maya stood up with me, watching me warily.

"What now?" she asked

"Just keep the party going, Maya. I have to know", I didn't realize I was clenching my fist until she took my hand in hers, releasing my curled fingers. My palm was red from my nails digging in so hard.

She nodded in understanding. "Okay. Don't be rash, Ells. Call me?"

"I will", I agreed

And with that, I was heading downstairs, leaving the Star Wars party, getting into my car and making my way to 144 Westbrook Avenue to confront the love of my life and that evil skank, Shannon.

A/N: Awfully short I know :(. Oh well it felt like it should be a chapter. And I also wanted to hit the big 40. LOL. What do you think is going to happen next? Drop your comments and don't forget to vote and share. PS: These texting conversations are actually pretty fun to write.I should try them more often. Ah well that's it for now.
Xoxo
-Crystal